mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#98932 28/09/04 12:19 AM
P
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
P
Hello i use the name of Phillip on mIRC to access a server called chatstar.
I would like to become an IRC Operaor so if you could please send me some informaion on this discussion it will be much appreciated

#98933 28/09/04 01:02 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Correct me if i'm wrong please. But isnt that up to those that operate the server/chann you are joining?

#98934 28/09/04 04:46 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Find a oper on that network and ask him. mIRC and the website have nothing to do with channel, server, or network organization, and we can therefor do nothing for you.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#98935 28/09/04 12:17 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You might also like to know that becoming an IRCop, isn't something, you apply for like a Job, its something you are chosen/elected for.

Usually you will find that asking (and/or begging) will only hinder you ever getting IRCop status.

Eamonn.

#98936 29/09/04 09:45 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just to clarify:

There are IRCops (IRCoperators), also called opers. Those are the ppl who maintain a server and their specific network. Opers are chosen by the person who owns the server.

There are also ops (operators) who maintain their specific channel. They are the people in their channel who have @ beside their nick. They are chosen by the founder of the channel. Each channel has its own rules and policies regarding ops. If you start your own channel, then you would be the founder and an op there. Each network has specific policies about registering channels, check their website or ask in their help channel.

Either way, asking (known as ops begging) is def the fastest way to NOT get opped.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#98937 02/10/04 06:59 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In addition to the above responses, some IRC networks (usually the tiny ones with few active users) have an application form on their website for those wanting to be an oper, something that I find strange given that I support the appointment method described here by some of the other contributors. Access to the IRCd is not something that I'd give, if I was in the position, to people that I don't know and therefore can't trust. That is not meant to be a slur on people who show an interest in being an oper, but instead an understanding that not everyone who shows an interest has a networks' best interests in mind.

If you deserve a chance then it may come one day. Patience is a required pre-requisite for many reasons. If you are in a hurry for access then you'll most likely be in a hurry regarding most or all aspects of being an oper and that is not always a good thing.

One last thing to remember is that any percetion of power and glory is a myth, not a legend. I've been an oper for a while and I can say that at times I spend time finding ways of avoiding the job as much as doing it. It's not what it's cracked up to be sometimes.

Link Copied to Clipboard