mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
- If client developers cared enough about their users, they would gladly update their software to suit the users needs, and extra colours can only help chatting (providing there is a way to strip them too).

- Well my need is to chat, not draw ASCII pictures, therefore my needs are already fulfilled. How do more colours help chatting?

Quote:
- They shouldn't... unless they want to keep the compatibility.
Saying he shouldn't add it because it will break compatibilty is silly, if you thought of everything that way then nothing would ever change!

- That's the most ridicuous thing I've ever heard. If I make a client and make a control code that makes my client play the Village People - YMCA should mIRC and every other client support the same for compatability? I've already pointed out a way that things could change and retain compatability, use the existing system's remaining 83 colours, it'd even have turquoise just for you. And notice that compatability isn't the only thing wrong with it, I keep listing several serious problems with 24-bit colour support.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
- Well my need is to chat, not draw ASCII pictures, therefore my needs are already fulfilled.

- ASCII pictures aren't the only thing extra colours would be good for, they would also be useful in making themes.

Quote:
How do more colours help chatting?

- It's like a newspaper, I find tabloids much more interesting because they aren't as dull and plain as broadsheet newspapers, more colours would make mIRC a lot more interesting to look at because it's not as plain and dull.

Quote:
That's the most ridicuous thing I've ever heard. If I make a client and make a control code that makes my client play the Village People - YMCA should mIRC and every other client support the same for compatability?

- If they don't mind seeing your control codes in the text, then no, otherwise, yes.

Quote:
I've already pointed out a way that things could change and retain compatability, use the existing system's remaining 83 colours, it'd even have turquoise just for you.

- 99 is plenty of colours, but it's still no way near as good as full rgb support, you still can't know whether the colours you're seeing are the ones the person sending the message is seeing.

Quote:
And notice that compatability isn't the only thing wrong with it, I keep listing several serious problems with 24-bit colour support.

- Like I said, allow people to choose between the two colour systems, and if somebody decides to use the old system then it shouldn't be too hard to strip the new colours, he could even change them into normal colours:

New colour system user sees: ^k16777215hi
Old colour system user sees: ^k1hi

Or even strip them completely.

Anyway, I don't care whether you can send and receive full colours across IRC, i'd settle for full support on your side only, eg, being able to /echo any rgb colour you like without having to change an existing colour using /colour.

New username: hixxy
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's like a newspaper, I find tabloids much more interesting because they aren't as dull and plain as broadsheet newspapers...

I like broadsheets better because there is more politics, business and news and fewer ads per square millimetre than tabloids have. There is also less journalistic diatribe from freelance columnists who consistently seem to have an opinion on everything.

That aside, it is a source of amusement for me that this thread contains so many posts carefully disected and commented on in order for you all to make yourselves appear more correct than the poster before you, and all over the humble addition of a few extra concurrent colours.

Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
Overall id happily agree with mofia in the fact that 99 colors is plenty. Would support my needs fully. However RGB support would be nice also, as it is another option, expanding the ranges of "things possible" lol.

Expand it to 99 colors and im amazingly happy, for my needs it would work perfect.

However i think adding RGB support is great too, atleast rgb for echoing, for use of themes and whatnot, as tidy pointed out.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
What feature request do you feel is in "overwhelming demand"?

I can understand your frustration having to make the same points over and over. I've already explained that some 'other' changes to mIRC would allow greater flexibility here, but that I don't think expanding to 99 colours will suffice (How is that zealous?). You've explained why you think it's a bad idea, and that you think 99 colours will be ample. See where I'm going here?

I feel like this has become an argument for arguments-sake (just like the last thread), so I'll contribute nothing further. I'd completely understand if you feel the need to reply to this though.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
What feature request do you feel is in "overwhelming demand"?

- None especially. Although Unicode support will benefit a lot of users, even though many don't realise it yet.

I agree there's little point for us to carry on in this thread, I think everyone's said their peice and anything more will be well beyond the realm of useful discussion.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard