OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
with 200-250 busy users?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well it depends on your precise definition of 'busy' and whether you mean 200-250 active at any given time or 200-250 server users in total. If you mean in total then 512/128 would probably be fine. Otherwise you'd want at least a 2MBit connection to support those sorts of numbers. If that's not feasible perhaps you have a few friends amongst those users who also have broadband connections and are willing to help out, in which case you could create a small network between 5-6 people on 512/128 connections.

Edit: Actually scratch that. Even if you meant 250 active users at any given time it might be alright on a 512/128 connection provided you don't use the connection for much else. The only way to be sure is to try it out.

Last edited by starbucks_mafia; 13/09/04 02:00 AM.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Um lol you should check your (eula?) agreement with your provider. everyone Ive seen prohibits irc hosting on their connections.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You mean AUP (Acceptable Use Policy).

Generally ISPs that provide "unlimited" accounts have stricter AUPs because the word 'unlimited' is a sales pitch. I have an account that allows 10GB per month before the bandwidth is throttled and I can run any number of machines that my network gear can handle and run any number and any kind of server as well; FTP, WWW, IRC, you name it. My ISP's main competitor does offer an 'unlimited' account along with others that specify limits, yet none of their connections allow servers or commercial activity. And they reinforce this by blocking the ports you need open for your server to receive requests from IRC programmes, web browsers, etc.

M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M

Link Copied to Clipboard