mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
are people allowed to post this kind of stuff? http://forum.rrjeta.net/viewtopic.php?p=68

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Quote:
I'm not creating a patch for this because if you haven't got basic hex editing skills you don't deserve the right to remove the reply anyway smile

That makes me sick right there.

You won't like it when I get angry.
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
who doesnt have basic hex editing skills?

Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
I meant that he thinks that people who have hex skills have the right to play with the exe.

This is from his website, which answers a lot of questions:

Quote:
Well, I'm 14 yrs old and I live in Prishtina. I love computers and programming. I do Visual Basic, but I am learning C/C++ too. C++ ownz tha world. My msn addy is theb@ssreflex.net but for e-mails, bassreflex_mail@hotmail.com smile

You won't like it when I get angry.
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
well i admit, i did change the mIRC icon with the XP one found on MS.org a while back when it was released

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I don't think khaled cares what you do with it as long as it's for personal use, except things that affect other people, like changing the version reply.

New username: hixxy
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
yeah i dont really see the point of that, but i do like to see the better looking mirc icon.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
What do you mean, it's the internet...

K
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
The instrcuctions that show how to make the needed modficiations of mirc.exe in order to change the mIRC version do not break any of the "rules" set forth by the license agreement.
If you read carefully, the license agreement states the following:

The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered.

Pay attention to the part that says: The mIRC distribution install file. The file mirc.exe is NOT the distribution install file. I think that everybody agrees on this. No "rules" that are stated in the license agreement say anything that prohibits modifing the mirc.exe file.

I hope that this will explain a number of the things to a lot of people who were not sure of the nature of such a post.

Thanks for reading this smile

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered.

mIRC.exe is one of the installer files contents, and thus cannot be modified.

New username: hixxy
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
well i know the crc check is only there to stop viruses and etc, mirc is pretty well known and its going toi be hard to pass it off as your own program is thats why you edited it, but my reason is just for the program icon, and thats not really a bad thing, alteast how i see it

K
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
tidy_trax,

Thanks for pointing that one out. I should've read that paragraph a little bit more carefully.

E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
This is in response to everyone. You can modify the mirc.exe however you want legally. You just cannot distribute a modified mirc.exe or install file legally.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
This is also in response to everyone.
Why do you care if it is legal? Are you going to be sued by Khaled? It doesn't really matter. Even if Khaled sued, which he won't, do you think he would win? I mean, can't you just delete the file and say it was never there?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You must not know about how a harddrive stores information wink Even though it's "Deleted", it's still there. How do you think information retrieval companies stay in business? wink

Regardless, why would you want to change such things as a crc, or version. I mean give credit where it's due.

-KingTomato
A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
I made the heavens and the earth
I made water
I made animals
I made man
I rested
See how ridicoulous that sounds? Trying to edit mirc and make it "your own" is just as dumb

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
No you can't. The actual lines are:

Quote:

mIRC may only be distributed as the original distribution install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered.

While the IMPLICATION is that the ban on reverse engineering only applies to distributed copies, this is not explicitly stated, and therefore reverse engineering is prohibited under any circumstances. The sentence will always be taken as meaning "None of the contents of the mIRC distribution install file may be modified, decompiled or reverse engineered".

It is important to understand that paragraphing makes no difference to legal interpretation unless there is specific reference in a contract to how paragraphs should be treated.

PM
Who used to spend too much time writing contracts.

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
ahahahaa

thye took that post down wink *notes job well done*

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm not sure I get it... Are you agreeing or arguing with me? You mirrored my viewpoint, but replied to my post.

-KingTomato

Link Copied to Clipboard