mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#93816 12/08/04 03:22 PM
O
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
O
I am a newb to mIRC and i only use it for DCC. When i have downloaded various .rar and .tar files that should have movies contained within them, they have more rar files in it. And within these rar files seem to be an equal sized file of the original rar which no matter which of these usual 30 will play the movie. All i want to do at the moment is watch the movie but i would like to have it as some sort of other format so can somebody tell me what the hell is going on and how do i fix these files? Is there a program i have to use to repair them? Help is greatly apprieciated.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You might want to look here regarding mIRC not being a file sharing application, but rather a text based chat one.

Eamonn.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Please take the time to read the sticky posts at the top of the forum before posting. See this one:

People, mIRC isn't a file sharing program...

Downloading movies is usually illegal, dangerous (in terms of getting infected with a virus) and not what mIRC is for.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
SJL Offline
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
It's strange that you assume what he is downloading is illegal. There is plenty of shareware available and despite the fact its available from probably more credible sources... why make an assumption the downloading and file transfers are of an illegal nature?

You've always been full of assumptions. Next you'll be informing us that you don't want any form of retribution for your efforts.

Sheesh

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Yes the "your filesharing must be illegal" mantra is getting tired. However, disregarding the legality of filesharing completely, mIRC is still not suitable as a filesharing client nor are IRC or DCC suitable as filesharing protocols. And if shareware was the content of choice IRC is almost certainly the worst source to try and obtain it given the extreme amount of malicious code available. It's in a filesharer's best interests to use a 'proper' filesharing program on a 'proper' filesharing protocol, and in the case of shareware, to download it from a reputable source (ie. the publisher/developer's website).

oldladyman: I don't understand what you mean when you say 'And within these rar files seem to be an equal sized file of the original rar which no matter which of these usual 30 will play the movie.', try re-wording it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
When there is such a high level of people using mIRC to download illegal content (be it movies or something else such as mp3s, software and so forth) it is hard not to assume that the files being downloaded are illegal. It was clearly stated mIRC is being used purely as a file sharing content anyway, and starbucks_mafia explained all about that.

starbuck_mafia: I agree that repeating the same stuff over and over again is getting tiresome, and I agree that simply ignoring the posts is not an option. However, I find posts trying to convince me that I do not "know" they are downloading stuff, or that I am "full of assumptions" even more tedious. What do these people expect me to do? Investigate every single post and vainly hope the person tells me the truth? Puh-leeze.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I find people react better if you explain why mIRC isn't suitable from a technical standpoint. By bringing the legal aspect it makes it sound like you're passing judgement, so in general the legal/moral argument becomes just that - an argument. Morality is an opinion and legality is dependent upon so many things, whereas the technical side is fact. That way you don't have to prove or presume anything about what they're downloading. That's not to say you can't say that there's a lot of copyrighted material being shared online, just that it's usually simpler if you don't use that as the reason for not helping someone.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
When i have downloaded various .rar and .tar files that should have movies contained within them, they have more rar files in it.

Sounds exactly like illegal filesharing to me.

Gone.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Thats his point I believe, it may "sound" like it, but who is to say they arent his friends holiday movies in anycase..

Eamonn.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
.rar files inside .rar files is common for warez releases, but not for holiday movies.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I'm aware of that.

Link Copied to Clipboard