mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
i know it sounds dum but is there any program or thing that i can use to download stuff faster using mIRC i have a 56k modemsmirk

S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
You can only go as fast as your connection can, but there are a few DCC options you can set to try to get the most out of a download.

/help /pdcc
/help /fsend

And you can also change the packetsize for a DCC using:
/dcc packetsize #
Where # is a packetsize from 512 to 8192 (bytes)

Note: Most of these (I think all except packetsize maybe) are for speeding up sends, but who knows smile

Smay!
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
The above commands speed up DCC send only, you cannot speed up DCC Receive.

You do realise mIRC isn't a 'downloading' program, right? It's a chat program, meant for chatting. We won't help with illegal file trading on this forum (including the downloading of mp3s, movies, software and other warez), incase that is what you're doing.

Otherwise, most people wouldn't be 'downloading' large files regularly anyway for it to become much of an issue - if it is an issue for you however, your only option is to upgrade to cable/DSL. If you can't do that due to your location then you're stuck (like me!)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
what is this packed size and why it is limited to 8000 ?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
if i remember right, its the amount of data mIRC sends before waiting for an ACK (acknowledgement that the data got there correctly).
Can speed up sends if u and the person your sending to has no packet loss, but if either of you suffer from it, then it will probably decrease ur speed a LOT because mIRC has to resend a lot of data.

Unsure why its limited to 8192 however.

And mecca11234, you are VERY unlikely to be able to squeeze anymore speed about of a 56k connection. There isn't much you can do about it. 56k connections are limited by the quality of your phone line, your ISP and the state of the phone lines around you rather than any software settings.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
so the smaller packet is, the better ?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
to a certian extent. EG. if its set to 8192 bytes (8kb) then someone on 56k would have to wait 3-4 seconds longer for every one of the packets the other client didn't recieve intact but someone on ADSL would only have to wait 0.2 seconds.

If your on a fast connection STABLE connection setting it higher might squeeze a tiny bit more out of it, but overall it won't make much of a difference.

overall the standard size is perfectly fine for decent connections, and i personally AVOID pdcc aswell, cuz anythin that sends packets before an ACK can't be good.

I don't know why Khaled bothered to add pdcc to be honest, cuz something large enough to call for something to need every spare KB/s to send, is not suitable for the DCC protocol.
I have an FTPd (server) installed on mine and whenever i want to send someone a big file i just load it up and give them my address.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
"I think the standard size is perfectly fine"

so what is standard size ?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
4096 is the default mIRC uses unless you change it (i think)

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
thank you

M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
Thanks for providing these answers - I was about to ask the same question.

At one time the WWW was only for "chat" -
EVOLVE Already!
J
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
J
From what I have read through these forums, I am unlikely to get a fix but....

My DCC won't get above 200KB,

I can get 1 DCC going at 200KB, but as soon as another starts it will drop the speed of the other - so the total is always 200KB.

I've tried different servers on different networks, as many as 10 DCC's at once just to see if I can break that limit.

not that I really need more then 200KB, but it is a little annoying considering I should be getting at least double that

cheers

Link Copied to Clipboard