Print Thread
C
cee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Hi ,

I'm very new to the message board so please pardon my ignorance if I am asking something stupid.

I have two isp (one adsl and one dial up) two different providers,

I am having problems with the dial up isp when I try to connect to the bigpond irc servers. I don't have any problems when I use the adsl.

I keep getting a response of Unable to Connect to server (Connection timed out) when I try the telstra (bigpond) server.

I don't have any problems connecting to other irc servers with the dial up isp.

I have tried using all the servers that are listed on the bigpond help site, but I get the same message every time.

I have also tried pinging the servers but I don't receive a reply from any of them.
I have check with my isp and they have said they don't know why it keeps happening and to contact telstra (which I did) and they can't help me either.

I need to have both adsl and dial up for work purposes, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thanks

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Read through This thread which is a sticky post at the top of this section of the forum regarding connection issues.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
C
cee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I read through the thread before I posted my query and tried a number of suggestions that I thought might resolve the problem, however, they haven't.

I don't have any problems connecting through to any other servers on the mirc listing.

Sorry for being a pain, but I'm finding this issue quite frustrating as it has been going for about a week now.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can answer that. A loser tried his luck at a DDoS attack on Bigpond's backbones about a year ago. Some changes (I can't say what they are for obvious reasons) were made to the network to prevent the network from faltering should the same happen again. For some odd reason this affected DNS in some cases and dialup users, depending on their location, find it hard to access the NSW server. You should be able to access the QLD or VIC servers though with no problems.

qld-irc.bigpond.com
nsw-irc.bigpond.com
vic-irc.bigpond.com

... are the individual server addresses. The VIC server is about to be replaced with a new one as part of a complete network infrastructure upgrade so it is redirected to QLD for the time being. Let me know how you go.

By the way, not receiving a reply to a ping does not necessarily mean that the node is unavailable. Having said that, I do get responses:

C:\>ping nsw-irc.bigpond.com

Pinging nsw-irc.bigpond.com [139.134.5.26] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 139.134.5.26: bytes=32 time=133ms TTL=121
Reply from 139.134.5.26: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=121
Reply from 139.134.5.26: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=121
Reply from 139.134.5.26: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=121

Ping statistics for 139.134.5.26:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 121ms, Maximum = 133ms, Average = 126ms

C:\>

If you still have problems you may need to post further information about your connection here.

C
cee Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Thanks for that. I tried all those server numbers but none of them worked. Fortunately, I asked a friend to pop into the help service room and they kindly helped.

On of the helpful ircops gave my friend a server number to pass on to me to use that was completely different. (I have no idea how they got it)?.

Is there a way I can find the server number myself other than the ones listed above that don't seem to work for me?

Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
On of the helpful ircops gave my friend a server number to pass on to me to use that was completely different. (I have no idea how they got it)?.

They asked me. grin

Because the VIC server's address resolves to the QLD server it was just a matter of checking what are known as C/N lines which tell what the IP address is. Glad it's all sorted.

Link Copied to Clipboard