mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Pomax Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Since installing mirc 6.16, it's frequently happened that at random moments and for no reason at all, mIRC just assumes I want to use overwrite in my normal channel/query editboxes... which I don't.

I hate the feature. It screws up my typo correcting and is generally annoying the hell out of me, so I'd like to know if there's a way to turn that off. With a hexeditor if need be.

- Pomax

O
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
O
If the problem is that your finger accidentally hits the Insert key (which toggles Overwrite mode), SharpKeys can help you disable it once and for all.

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
hah .. I racked my brain tryin to figure
out wth he was talkin about lol .. good one.

P
Pomax Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
That would be the normal solution, if it weren't for the fact it seems to do it a lot more often than I am in the position to accidentally hit insert.

- Pomax

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Well as he said, hitting the insert key toggles overwrite,
so hitting it once turns on overwrite until you hit it again.

O
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
O
I don't remember it happening to me in chat rooms, but sometimes it kicks in when I use the script editor. If you can come up with an exact way to reproduce this (possible) bug, please post it to the Bugs forum.

Btw, don't you think it would be better to have Insert disabled in mIRC by default? I haven't met a single person who makes a positive use of the overwrite mode...

P
Pomax Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
I'll try to see if I can find some specific cases in which it happens. Until that time I'll do a feature suggestion to have it removed; overwrtite has very little function in an IRC client. And to have it in mirc just to be compliant with general windows behaviour is a bit silly, notepad doesn't have overwrite either and there are masses of people that will profess to its status of most ideal text editor for instance =)

(whether they're right is another, unrelated, question)

- Pomax

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
I realise I'm digging up a dead dog, but I just want to confirm this happens to me _all the time_. And no, I am **NOT** hitting Insert.

There is obviously some sort-of bizarre input problem with mIRC which causes this to happen. I've seen it happen both in text input boxes (for channels/queries/etc.), and in the script editor.

There is a POSSIBLE explanation for this bug listed in another thread (search for "overtype mode"), described as follows:

Quote:
This is also a bug in mIRC's new handling of Multibyte characters, and should be reported to the Bug Reports section of this forum (if it hasn't been already).

In the mean time, you can reverse this change to how it was in v6.12, by going to ALT+O > IRC > Messages and unchecking [ ] Multibyte editbox at the bottom. You may also uncheck all four of these options at the bottom to completely disable any special text handling.

I myself have Multibyte editbox enabled, as well as SJIS and many other dual-byte options (since I occasionally use Japanese). I'll have to try turning all of these options off to see if that solves the problem.

So you're not alone, Pomax. We aren't hitting Insert -- this is a software bug, folks.

Link Copied to Clipboard