Print Thread
#92271 31/07/04 03:02 AM
S
ShinZon Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
if khaled is so concerned about illegal use of dcc why dont he limit send file size like to maximum of 3 MB

picures could be sent
compressed files
text files

all "normal" files coz we know that MP3 and movies are like 3MB and above

i only read that some networks limit this option, why wont khaled ?

yes i know that then users would use old mirc versions but after some time they will be forced to upgrade and illegal trade should be reduced atleast to 50%

#92272 31/07/04 03:06 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
mIRC has nothing to do with the size of files sent. The DCC protocol doesn't handle huge files all that well anyway which is why we constantly see a flow of people having issues, because they are trying to download 6 movies consisting of 12 600MB .rar files - mIRC nor the protocol is designed for that kind of load. It's not up to Khaled to prevent people from sending large files - there are many people who send legitimate files which are bigger than 3MB.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#92273 31/07/04 03:09 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What about my friend's gitar solos that he records and take up to 10 mb sometimes?

What about my dad's home made movies of holidays in France, that can go up to 1 gigabyte?

What about a photo album of my cousins wedding with 400 pictures in it of high quality, even compressed?

What about ....

Greets

Gone.
#92274 31/07/04 03:11 AM
S
ShinZon Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
well IMHO he could atleast make some internal checkup like if file is bigger than 10MB or 20 then stop and ECHO "limited coz of blabla..."

i mean, irc became 2nd on the list for downloading movies and games after P2P programs... and 90% are using mirc+script...
isnt that a bit embaresing for coder like khaled...
unless he is wise and see profit in it, the more ppl uses mirc the better, he gets payed, he leaves this "flaws" on purpose and literarly "who gives a [censored]", they dont complain and i am good with it...

smirk

#92275 31/07/04 03:12 AM
S
ShinZon Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
you have MS Net Meeting for that :P

#92276 31/07/04 11:32 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That would be so impractical, firstly, because it IS the users choice on whether or not they want to send files over a specific size, illegal or otherwise, it is not mIRCs' place to restrict the size of files allowed to be transfered..

Mainly because this would lead to alternative IRC Clients being created that do not restrict file sending and/or people using alternative methods (Netmeeting, MSN, to mention a few legal methods).

Eamonn.

#92277 31/07/04 11:37 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

mIRC has nothing to do with the size of files sent. The DCC protocol doesn't handle huge files all that well anyway which is why we constantly see a flow of people having issues

CTCP, DCC Protocol has handles files just as it was designed to do so, the shortfall comes from how mIRC handles it, in that it doesnt support 'Rollback' feature in the event of large files being corrupt, however DCC protocol does not distinush between a file of 1mb in size, and one of 1gb, they are handled exactly the same.

Eamonn.

#92278 31/07/04 12:15 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
S'all good wink

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#92279 31/07/04 11:45 PM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
My thoughts on the subject - and they have nothing to do with legality - presumed or otherwise.

I have a car that I wouldn't want to go over 100km/hr (US readers do your own metric coversion) in. However If I wanted to drive really fast, I could get another car that can handle it.

mIRC is designed to be a Chat client - which is typically a low bandwidth activity.

For all those people who want to trade/download/upload large files, they would be better off getting a programme that is designed to deal with it.

I wouldn't use MS Word to transfer large files, I would use it for Word Processing. I woudln't use IE to transfer files, I use it for browsing and replying to notices like this!.

If i was going to be transferring a lot of files, then I wousd expend a little effort to find a suitable program, not try and shoehorn another program to fit the mold.

So, to all these people who complain that mIRC doesn't handle their file trding properly - I say stiff bikkies, find another program that is designed to do that!

mIRC is good for chat - not word processing, browsing, complex scientific calculations or file-trading.

Just my opinion to add to the mix.

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
#92280 01/08/04 01:35 AM
S
ShinZon Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
"mIRC is good for chat - not word processing, browsing, complex scientific calculations or file-trading."

exactly my point !

#92281 01/08/04 01:43 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well said. laugh

#92282 01/08/04 05:44 AM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Well it's not up to you, Mentality, Watchdog, ShinZon or even
Khaled himself to decide for others how to use mIRC. mIRC
is whatever the user makes of it, whether you agree with
it or not. There are loads of options that have absolutely
nothing to do with chat, but they are there and people use
them. This includes DCC file transfer. Yes it was added with
good & legal intentions but so what. Cars go way beyond
any speed limits and people abuse that every day, but
the cars just keep getting faster. All that would be
accomplished by adding file size limitations, or even
removing dcc altogether, is users scripting around it and/or
they would stick with an older version. If a person has
already registered their mIRC, it wouldn't matter financially
to Khaled, but if I were a new user and I had to use an old
version just so I could use DCC file transfer, I'd be damned
if I were going to pay for it .. revenue lost right there.

~ Edit ~
Also, the only ones I see complain about the performance
of DCC file transfer, are all you anti file traders .. file traders
obviously think it works just fine, myself included.

Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 01/08/04 05:49 AM.
#92283 01/08/04 09:27 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood

#92284 01/08/04 10:36 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Also, the only ones I see complain about the performance
of DCC file transfer, are all you anti file traders .. file traders
obviously think it works just fine, myself included.

- There's a near-continuous stream of complaints from filesharers about the lack of mIRC's ability to support multi-source downloading, magnet URIs, transfer speed limiting, etc.. And besides those points there are plenty of technical reasons why DCC and mIRC's implementation of it isn't suitable for large-scale filesharing, (ie. high fragmentation of hard drive, ACKs, 'temperamental' resume feature).

mIRC shouldn't limit the filesizes that DCC can send, it would hurt legitimate uses far more than illegitimate ones. To be honest I really don't care about the legality of filesharing, but whenever someone such as yourself suggests that mIRC is halfway decent at being a filesharing program I can't help but point out how wrong you are. The simple practicality of mIRC and DCC, as I have just explained, makes them far inferior to a plethora of other programs and protocols for which filesharing is their intended purpose. It frustrates the hell out of me to see people so determined to use absolutely the wrong tool for the job.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#92285 04/08/04 01:05 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
This is just rediculous, if khaled limited the size file then everyone would only join the forums to complain about this, and ask it be removed. If so, the more people would stop using mIRC. smirk

Live to Dream & Dream for Life

Link Copied to Clipboard