Print Thread
#90585 15/07/04 05:19 PM
J
Jason_X Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
J
Is it possible to buy an mIRC server and be the admin of it, etc.? If so, how, and how much does it cost?

#90586 15/07/04 07:43 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
There is no such thing as an mIRC server. mIRC is simply a client (one of many) that can connect to IRC servers.

There are many companies that will host an IRC server (IRCd) for you, you can search Google for one.

Also, if you want an IRC server just for your friends it is possible to host one on your own computer, provided you have a box that is up 24/7 and a quite fast always-on connection. Preferably the box should run an *nix, but there are IRCds that will run on windows (e.g. UnrealIRCd).

You can find a list of common IRCd programs here , just search google for their names to find their homepages.

#90587 15/07/04 08:02 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Just to add, if your looking for one to be hosted that ISNT run on your computer, the cost can range from a few dollars per month, to a few thousand dollars (literally), it all depends on:

a) the companys' pricing scheme.
b) the maximum users you wish to host (usually determines price)
c) the server speed.

Also, you dont 'BUY' a server but you do 'RENT/HIRE' it.

Eamonn.

#90588 15/07/04 08:52 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Another thing is that if you wish to attract a large user base, you should really team up with other people who have servers on their own (They have to be running the same type of server you do), and create a network. This is no trivial task, however, so it might be a good idea to start with just one server and see how it goes.

#90589 15/10/04 11:11 PM
M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M
i'm a owner of a small but really nice irc-network. We have a HUB-IRC Server from http://www.hotshells.de (have to write a mail and ask for one cause its not on the webpage). We also have some leafes for Backup reasons. All in all it works really nice. Since one year we have had just one downtime at all. They are around 500 People on the network and its really great to deal with it.
The cost are ok. I tought it is around 60$ as we started to 200$ now with 500 People for the HUB. That depends on the traffic we have. But i am sure, they will also offer you some "flaterate" services.

hope i could help you

Link Copied to Clipboard