mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
StarD Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I searched the message board and FAQ and cannot find anything related to my problems.

My connection is AOL dial up.
I am NEW, trying to us mIRC 6.15
I can connect to other servers but I need to connect to Surechat.com in order to chat in #The_Brainles_Zone Chat.

I get the following message when trying to log on:

Closing Link: StarD[DratS@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (Connection allowed only from a Java Client. You matched client class AOL. Try using a webbrowser to access http://66.28.246.1:9000).

Please, can anyone help me get to Surechat?

Thank you.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
well, firstly, you might want to click here to get the latest version of mIRC (v6.16).

Secondly, as the error message says, AOL users cannot connect using mIRC and must use the applet provided at the given url.. http://66.28.246.1:9000.

Eamonn.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Remember that when you are blocked from accessing one particular network and/or server that it is not anything to do with mIRC, it's down to the network administration. Some networks do not allow IRC access at all (except usually for their server staff) due to abuse. A java client is a way to access IRC via your web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer).

If you used to be able to get on to that network via an IRC client then you may wish to check out the network's website for information on why this has changed. Due to abuse some networks block access from AOL users (this is one of the unfortunate side effects of using AOL as they provide hostnames which change when a user reconnects, therefore, allowing ban evading - so some servers/networks/channels block all AOL access completely).

If SureChat wishes to block IRC access we cannot and will not help get around their blocks, you will need to use the Java applet they've provided, or indeed use another network.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
StarD Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Thank you for the replies and I think both were helpful. I passed along the information to owner of the website. Possibly if he lists me as a moderator, it will let me in. We will try that next. I'm not sure if any of the others using mIRC are accessing through AOL--probably not.

Thanks again!

S
StarD Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Once again, I'm here to say thanks. The website owner made me a moderator and I was able to reach the server through AOL. Learning experience for everyone involved.

Thank You!! smile

Bridget

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Glad to hear it all worked out smile

Eamonn.

Link Copied to Clipboard