mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
i have a problem when i start mirc and go to a channel and then when i am recieving a file (from any server or channel) my computer starts to hiccup meanin freezing and unfreezing. i have no clue how it start. i have restored my pc and reinstalled everything including mirc and the problem still occures. anyway to fix this problem or bug.

i might hav e put this in the wrong topic.

Last edited by mustdesi; 10/07/04 12:09 AM.
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
If you are running mIRC version 6.15 an exploit maybe the cause of this. Update to the new 6.16 release (which fixes the bug), To see if the freezing stops.

M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
well ur wronf because i am using the latest realese and i have tried everything. like restoring my comp, defragmenting, disk cleanup, virus scan, etc. any other ideas.

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
What version of Windows are you using? I would suggest formatting your hard drive, then install Windows again. After Windows is installed, install mIRC before installing any drivers or any other software. If mIRC works correctly after doing this, then the problem is probably related with a driver or another piece of software.

Also, are you using mIRC with any scripts? If you are, try using mIRC without any scripts loaded to see if the problem still exists.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
What files are you receiving exactly? Receiving large files or otherwise mass file trading often causes issues for people, perhaps because their Internet connection cannot handle it.

You may want to use our Search feature and search for something like 'freeze' and 'DCC' - this problem has been mentioned before. Remember to expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

This is not an mIRC bug.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
yea i was recieving large files but there servers were fast like over 350 kb/s so they cant have any problem. i get problems with oitehr servers too. and i did format my harddrive (not quick format) then i installed windows xp and ddi everythign but same problem.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It's irrelevant what their servers were like, I suggest an issue with your ISP or general computer set up is at the bottom of your issue. mIRC is not a program for you to mass/illegal file trade with. Issues are to be expected when you use a program for a purpose other than it's original intentions, no?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
F
Frt Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
Im having the same problem even if it is 1kb text file from a freind, at the end of my download my computer freezes then around 10minute later i am able to open mIRC agian will all my channels disconnected and i have only had this problem since i have gotton 6.16 any ideas ?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
anti virus program causing it?

Norton 2004 for example freezes the entire program while it scans a file you have downloaded.

Try disabling auto protect on any anti virus programs you have.

Thats the only thing i can think of.

F
Frt Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
Thanks alot Danthemandoo my anti virus was the problem.

V
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
V
mustdesi

I have been having the EXACT same problem as you. I have not been able to figure out what the cause is much less a fix.

I have tried 3 different computers in my house. I have formatted them, and tried them with no other software running.

I have also tried other IRC clients.

I tried taking the router out of the equation, and hooking straight to the cable modem.

I JUST DON'T GET WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!! frown

I can download huge files from FTP, www, etc at 400 KB/s no problem what so ever, but give me a nice fast dcc and it will freeze unfreeze freeze unfreeze my PC's.

I have a friend with the exact same ISP, and he doesn't suffer this problem.

If there is anyone out there that has any clue what so ever as to what this problem could be, it would be most appreciated. This is the first time a google search has even found knowledge that someone else is having the same problem. I thought I was the only one, and it was driving me insane. At least now I know I am not alone in this.

Link Copied to Clipboard