Print Thread
M
MrClark Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Hello! wink

I'd like to get some information on resolving my problem of connecting to IRC via mIRC.

First off, here are the background stats :

System: Toshiba Satellite PIII / 256mb RAM
Browser: IE 6
Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1 [default browser]
Built in 10/100 Ethernet Card :
Realtek FTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Connected via: TCP/IP Protocol [only one checked] "Obtain IP Address & DNS Servers Automatically" are selected in TCP/IP properties.

Internet Connection: Broadband Cable 128kbps [I'm on an island in the Caribbean, and that's the only one that applies to my budget - the max offered is 256kbps] So, my maximum d/l rate is 16kb/s. Not sure on the u/l. Connection is always on with no U/P on my side at least - so I turn off the power to my modem or unplug the ethernet wire when not using the net.

Cable Modem: Motorola Surfboard 5100i connected via ethernet. USB Optional - tried using it, but same problems.

ISP Provider: FlamingoTV - They didn't understand my problem.
http://www.flamingotv.com/ISP/home.htm

Applications that CAN connect :

-Streaming audio & video tested in both Real & Windows Media Players/
- Outlook Express POP3 Accounts
- General web browsing via Firefox, tested in IE w/ no problems.
- AntiVirus Updates
- MSN & AOL Messenger
-P2P Clients

Applications that DO NOT connect :

**Valve Steam Engine : For Counter-Strike [does not get past connecting via [email]xxxxxxx@xxxx.com][/email]

**IRC via mIRC : Connection times out... numerous retries. On Dial-UP, everything worked great. Tried in version 6.12 and also tried in the newest 6.16 release. I also used the "/DNS irc.mozilla.org" to resolve #'s instead of text domain - no luck.

The servers I have tried today were EfNet, Mozilla, Quakenet...

I have set up via mirc options :

-"On Connect, Always Get local host & IP checked"
-Lookup method = server [tried normal too]
-identD is enabled w/ a user ID. Show requests and enable only when connecting are checked. System - Windows, Port 113.

I disabled my Firewall, and have checked for spyware using Spybot. Norton AV is up to date.

When viewing my LAN Status:

My address is assigned DHCP.
IP address is shown : 63.245.xx.xx
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : 63.245.xx.x
Lease obtained 7/8/2004 6:43PM
Lease expires 7/8/2004 7:28PM
DNS Servers :
63.245.xx.xx
63.245.xx.xx

WINS Server = N/A

I am very sorry for the long post. I hope the information which I have provided would be helpful in finding a solution to my strange problem. I'm a bit frustrated as to why this is happening.

I have turned on & off my modem, and rebooted my OS a few times with no luck. Also, in the past I have used this same laptop for running aDSL in Europe, Broadband cable in Chicago via AT&T, Dial-UP in the island here without a single problem. confused

I'm on this island for a few more months, and I'd really like to get back to using mirc again! cool

Again, thank you for your time and cooperation. Hope to hear back soon! Take Care.

Mr. Clark

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
You dont say which firewall you have turned Off ?

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry, I have Windows XP Built-in Firewall turned off. This is the only firewall that I use.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Ok my initial thought was you weren`t aware XP had a built-in firewall, it's alarming how many users we get coming into the #mIRC help channel who are oblivious to the fact XP has even got a Firewall.
Obviously not in your case tho cool
Anyway we had a similar post a few days ago web page
The initial post was about a Router, but it appears the XP firewall was jammed or something by the sound of it
possibly try shutting it off again (Reboot) XP..and then try connecting to an Irc server. if no joy, switch on on (Reboot) and try an Irc server

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi ScoT, thank you for your quick reply. I have tried both suggestions that you have mentioned :

- switch on XP built-in firewall > reboot OS > attempted connection via mIRC > timed out / network unreachable (other features/apps worked)

- switch off XP built-in firewall > reboot OS > attempted connection via mIRC > timed out / network unreachable. (other features/apps worked)

Test IRC Networks : Mozilla / Quakenet / Efnet.

So.... still no joy wink

Mr. Clark

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
can you install a fresh copy of mIRC (newly downloaded) and install it to c:\temptest then go to that folder and dbl click on the mIRC icon to start it up,,fill in some details, and click OK, do NOT click on connect..instead in the window that is open type /server 194.134.7.195 6667
and then hit Enter...tell me what happens when you do this please

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
* Connecting to 194.134.7.195 (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Network is unreachable)
-
* Connect retry #1 194.134.7.195 (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Network is unreachable)
-
* Connect retry #2 194.134.7.195 (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
-
* Connect retry #3 194.134.7.195 (6667)
* Connect cancelled

Those are the results when installing mirc 6.16 to a new directory with the following manually inputed details:

Full Name / email / nick / alt nick / invisible mode checked.
Local Info : On connect always get local host & IP address both checked.
Identd : tester0000 / enable identd server checked. / system : unix / port :113

all other parameters are checked/unchecked in default.

cool

Mr. Clark

**EDIT UPDATE***

I wanted to double check if there were any direct problems with my OS setup or whatever, so I used my dial-up connection to check whether irc is functioning - and the result was that it did :

* Connecting to 194.134.7.195 (6667)
-
-194.134.7.195- *** Looking up your hostname
-
* Identd request from 194.134.7.195
* Identd replied: 1204, 6667 : USERID : UNIX : tester0000
-
-194.134.7.195- *** Checking Ident
-
-194.134.7.195- *** Found your hostname
-
-194.134.7.195- *** Got ident response
-
Ping? Pong!
Amsterdam2.NL.EU.undernet.org u2.10.11.06 dioswkgx biklmnopstvr bklov
WHOX WALLCHOPS WALLVOICES USERIP CPRIVMSG CNOTICE SILENCE=15 MODES=6 MAXCHANNELS=10 MAXBANS=45 NICKLEN=12 MAXNICKLEN=15 are supported by this server
TOPICLEN=160 AWAYLEN=160 KICKLEN=160 CHANTYPES=#& PREFIX=(ov)@+ CHANMODES=b,k,l,imnpstr CASEMAPPING=rfc1459 NETWORK=UnderNet are supported by this server
-
There are 39511 users and 62473 invisible on 41 servers
112 operator(s) online
26 unknown connection(s)
48042 channels formed
I have 2618 clients and 1 servers
-
-Amsterdam2.NL.EU.undernet.org- Highest connection count: 6773 (6772 clients)
-
MOTD File is missing
-
-Amsterdam2.NL.EU.undernet.org- on 1 ca 1(4) ft 10(10)
-
Local host: telbonetISP-201.telbonet.an (198.93.180.201)
-
* Disconnected

So it works for my dial-up connection on the same laptop, but no luck for my cable connection. blush

Mr. Clark

Last edited by MrClark; 09/07/04 02:39 AM.
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
By your last post it would appear to me that the cable modem is definitely the problem, some cable modems have a built-in router/firewall, and a quick look at your Service providers page should confirm this.

Have you tried going to the modem config page in your browser (Internet Explorer) to http://192.168.100.1/ or to http://192.168.100.1/config.html and see-ing if it has a firewall/router feature, and check if port 113 (Identd) and ports 6660 thru to 6669 are blocked ?

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi again ScoT smile

I was thinking the same thing what you have mentioned regarding possible port issues... So I went to http://www.grc.com to perform the ShieldsUP test.

Here's what I can bring to the table :
before starting the test - XP Firewall OFF[b]
[b]Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2004-07-09 at 17:42:22[/b]

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

2 Ports Open
1049 Ports Closed
5 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

Ports found to be OPEN were: 251, 1025

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 135, 137, 138, 139, 445

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

So, Port 113, the identD one is closed.

Ports 6660-6669:
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2004-07-09 at 17:46:37

Results from scan of ports: 6660-6669

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
10 Ports Stealth
---------------------
10 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
=========

Regarding the configuration settings of my Motorola SB5100 when visiting http://192.168.100.1/ :

*****Status Page*****
Acquire Downstream Channel Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Done
Upstream Ranging Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done
Cable Modem Status Operational
Initialize Baseline Privacy Skipped

*****Signal Page*******

Downstream | Value
------------------------
Frequency| 99000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio | 41 dB
Power Level | 6 dBmV
=========================
Upstream | Value
---------------------
Channel ID | 1
Frequency | 27000000 Hz Ranged
Power Level | 43 dBmV

***********Addresses Page**********
Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXXX
HFC MAC Address XX:XX:5C:XX:XX:00
CPE USB MAC Address XX:0E:XX:XX:XX:97

# Known CPE MAC Address Status
1 00:XX:XX:70:13:XX Learned
2 00:XX:XX:0A.XX:00 Self

*********Configuration Page*********

Frequency Plan: North American Standard/HRC/IRC/
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Frequency : 99000000 Hz
Enable DHCP Server is CHECKED :
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

============

That's all the information accessible via those links. The other option available was to change the above configuration settings, and reset my modem (which I did anyways, and it reverted back to the same IPs in my first post again.)

Lastly, I was trying to read up on port forwarding and stuff like that. I think I become even more confused grin

Anyways, I turned back my XP-Firewall > settings > add > added port 113 for a test run following these instructions via the wonderful MSKB :

here
and
here.

Still the same error results on connecting to irc. Everything else is fully functional. Well apart from irc & the steam engine. Hehe. cool

I really appreciate the time taken ScoT and to anyone else helping me out here. Hopefully this new info might be of some good use in solving this problem. laugh

Mr. Clark

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Hmmm i really did expect you to come back and say something like, found the router/firewall but alas it's not that simple, i checked your ISP homepage and your modem isn't listed as having a built-in firewall, only the wireless SBG1000 one does, it seems frown
http://www.flamingotv.com/support/Modemtrouble.htm#modemprobs

You've proven it's no mirc fault, by connecting with your dial-up connection, thus i still believe your cable modem is at fault !

Your trip to the shields-up section at www.grc.com raised an interesting point
Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS
i'm wondering if this is significant, truth be told i don't use XP didn't like it or it's ability to spy on you (end of rant) smirk i never used a cable modem before either, but i find it hard to believe it's not capable of refreshing its DNS server list especially when it has a DHCPD section built-in. I'm kinda running thin on ideas here, you might try refreshing your ip-configuration just to see if it has any bearing on your problem
Start > run (type in cmd or cmd.exe) in the next box you should be able to view your current internal and external ip information by typing ipconfig and ipconfig/all try renewing the addresses and see if it can then get a valid set of DNS Servers to halt the no reverse dNS error that grc.com gave you by typing ipconfig /renew or ipconfig/renew

As a side note can you even use a web based Irc client application like http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php
if you can try to join the channel #mIRC, it would be interesting to know if that type of irc access is also blocked

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have no idea ScoT smile Maybe like you said, the No Reverse DNS could be an issue. I read a bit more about it

here

I have also tried the web-based irc applet you have given me to test http://www.undernet.org/webchat/index.php.

Unable to Connect : Null respsonse.

----

I also installed Chatzilla for Firefox and tried that... same no luck.

The ipconfig /all & /renew parameters.in windows cmd - you've guessed it smile

I do hope that something can be done on my client side. So how to resolve this "no reverse dns and port 113 block" remains to be mystery - not too long though for my mind's sake! Heh. :tongue:

Mr. Clark

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S

M
MrClark Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Sorry ScoT, I meant the latter link. After you select your nick / channel / server ,that link switches to the one I posted above in the location bar. The same result does happen though :

Unable to connect.

Link Copied to Clipboard