Print Thread
G
garreh Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
G
Hey,
After my mirc.exe has been running for a little while (about 2hrs or so...not really sure) it consumes a MASSIVE ammount of virtual and non virtual memory.

Task manager reports it uses 247,336KB (And keeps on increasing) VM SIZE
and
the MEM USUAGE jumps from 4,276KB to 90mb in size (when maimized) - and Peak memory is 114,336KB.

THIS IS HUGE!
... for a little program like mirc without:

1) Many mirc scripts (a few little ones)
2) With only 2 timers - not highly RAM intensive or CPU.
3) No dll files loaded.
4) On 1 network with 8 channels open and no @Windows/PMs at all.
5) Even with /clearall command done.
6) DCC Disabled.

Its ever since I caught a virus that changed my startpage (which ALL popular virus sites said it was non-destructive and easy to get rid of) ... just saying this to state if there is any possibilty it could be this.

However, I have done many virus scans/adware scans with 'AdWare' by lavasoft (i think) and SpyBot Search and Destroy and it reports my system is clean in all areas.

My Explorer.exe also reports a very high VM Size (106,720KB) - which it never use to (maybe a connection?)

I know that VM Size is the size it allocates in the pagefile BUT it still should NOT allocate this much memory space...for such a little program anyway. And plus, windows does NOT allocate memory anywhere that it is not needed.

Any solutions/Sensible comments welcome.

Thanx
Gary smile

Last edited by Krejt; 09/07/04 07:07 AM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You didnt mention, so i'll ask, what Operating system are we talking about?

I use mIRC on both XP and Win2k, and never seen it go above 6000K Memory Usage..just running normally i might add.

Eamonn.

G
garreh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi, yes sorry... I'm on windows XP professional.

V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
Neither have I seen it go above 6.000, and I have some quite large hash tables...

T
T
I've seen it grow a lot larger.. up to 20MB.. but that's after increasing the size of the buffer. wink

- Todd
G
garreh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Exactly. Thats why I'm finding this problem very strange. I need to get it fixed but havn't a clue how. It's making my computer quite slow.

- gary

Last edited by garreh; 08/07/04 04:59 PM.
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
you said you scanned your computer with spybot and adaware. did you try a virus scanner?

try a fresh copy of mirc installed elsewhere. see if it does it with a new installation.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
G
garreh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I scanned it with a virus scanners (Online ones)

I scanned with:

BT - Bit Defender
CA - Computer assosiates
Trend micro housecall
Pandascan

They report no viruses.

Still puzzled? SO AM I! :P

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
try a fresh installation of mirc?

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
G
garreh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I've updated my mirc to the lastest version and it remains the same. Installing in a different location? Why would that make difference, if you don't mind me asking? smile

gary

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
possibly u have something loaded into your updated copy. maybe a script?

my theory is. if a new installation in an alternate location. and the memory problem does not persist with the new one. then something is going on in your updated installation.

just trying to home in on the problem :tongue:

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
G
garreh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well....
I just opened a new mirc in a different location (old version... 6.03) as appose to the version eating memory (6.14) and ran Process Explorer by Sysinternals...

The old version is running under the tree of Explorer.exe - whereas the new version is running by itself - outside of any tree.

Maybe this could be a reason?

gary

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
possible. try upgrading to mirc. 6.16

could be the location. or something that is loaded into the mirc copy giving you the problems.

Last edited by NightCrawler8283; 08/07/04 07:45 PM.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
There is and was no memory leak that SERIOUS in the old mIRC version 6.14. As far as I know there was no memory leak at all in mIRC 6.14. I think something else is bugging you....

Anyway, please upgrade to mIRC 6.16 first, and see what happens with a clean install without your 'many mirc scripts'. Succes!

K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Yeah the Mirc 6.14 version in its upgraded version. Once updated and installed can the 6.14 version still be used? And I also have a query about the new version. What were the improvements?

Being for itself in nothingnes. Being & Nothingness. By Jean Paul Satyre.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i'm not sure what you mean by "upgraded " or "updated" version of 6.14. There is only one official version of 6.14.

To see what's new in v6.16, see http://www.mirc.co.uk/whatsnew.txt and you can see the changes to all the versions at http://www.mirc.co.uk/versions.txt

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
A
A
I have a similar issue, except I'm running 6.03 w/ sysreset script and a script that fixes that dcc exploit. I have a buffer size of 3500 (down from 5000 after i noticed this, but didn't fix much) and I stopped all logging of chats and channels. Not much help, i can slowly see it rising, and keep rising. Maybe it has something to do w/ the script then? There a way to fix that? or maybe a better script or mIRC 6.16 might fix it. I have a 6.12 version installed separately in another folder somewhere, i can try running it and see if it causes the same problem when i get a chance sometime this week.

Link Copied to Clipboard