mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
B
I can say i am not average user But i am not very Good at Networking stuff. I always have doubt for channels like <channel names deleted> Is it Safe to download fromt hose channels is someone hacking me? is someone in my computer even though i have firewalla " Mcafee & Built IN Windows XP" How can make secure? If someone can answer those questions for me i will really appricate.
Please unlighten me on this issue

am i safe on Mirc? if i am not what should i do to make me more secure experience with Mirc?

Thanks
Baljeet

Last edited by ParaBrat; 07/07/04 05:19 AM.
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
mIRC is only as safe as you make it, and downloading OBVIOUSLY increase the chances of your computer being compromised see this link for some Info web page

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Also note that mIRC isn't a file trading program - downloading with mIRC is often illegal (bollywood films are copyrighted too!) and can lead to being infected.

Some good rules to follow are:

- Never click on links that are sent to you except from trusted people that you know well.
- Never accept files from people that you don't know, especially if they are sent to you when you join a channel, or they end in .exe.
- Never TYPE anything anyone tells you to type, especially if it contains //write, //echo or $decode.
- Do not open emails from people you do not know.
- Do not download scripts that you do not code yourself except from trusted websites that virus/exploit-check their scripts. These include mircscripts.org and mirc.net. Do note however, even with these sites only download at your own risk.
- Only ever download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/get.html (or mirc.co.uk/get.html). Always keep up with the latest version.
- Always stay up to date with the latest Windows updates from www.windowsupdate.com.
- Always have a good and up-to-date antivirus/antitrojan and Firewall on your system. See this thread for some good resources and further good tips.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
If you do download files, try to remember that the majority of bots serving the files aren't being willingly run by that computer's owner. It would be quite safe to say that many people who chose to download those files are now being used to serve the very same files to yourself and others, at no regard to that persons storage or bandwidth resources. The big question is not whether this is safe, or even if it is legal, but why would one want to contribute to this?

As for actively being hacked, there's really no need for someone to take the time to do so if you are downloading their file. Aren't they kind people to place that file in a self-extracting executable for you. smile

L
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
L
? I know that Mirc is just a chat prg and i know that if i download stuff i do at my own risk but poeple still do fiel sharing i mean i know that its ilegal but is there any servers/channels that people freely serv movies without being with the FBI or ading the FBI so i dont get traced if so where can i find these good hearted people if not how can i avoid these people so i dont get traced. as a concerd user of mirc who just downloads the movies just to watch and then i get rid of them how can i go about my daily routen again i mean i use <chan removed> but that has proven to be vunerable to traces any help or advise would be great . :-)

Last edited by Mentality; 01/08/04 11:18 PM.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
We will not help you break the law, please see this post. If you are going to be deliberately ignorant by continuing to download movies even though you know you can be traced and heavily fined, and that mIRC isn't for that purpose, AND that it's illegal, then you'll have to put up with the risks.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
L
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
L
what i was hubly saying is if there was a way that you could not be traced that was it . if there was no way i would sees all activite but is this the first time some one has asked you this question i think its a good one but as i said if there would be know way of blocking being traced i would stop i mean your right nor do i want this good prg to invol themself . what would you kindly sudjest for this hubel person if you could i f not . i 'll just go back to anime then thank you for your kind words and explination. your kind user of mirc

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If the correct authorities wish to trace you then there is no way to stop it. If there were, then that method would not be posted on this forum. We do not condone the illegal download of files AT ALL, nor hindering the ability of certain authorities tracing users if need be.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
L
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
L
Thank you for all the explinations and im sorry if you thought that i thought that you would have that stuff on your forum of course you would not thank you for the explination your quite noligable once again thx very much.

Link Copied to Clipboard