Print Thread
#87742 21/06/04 08:59 PM
S
state Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
im sorry if there is a help subject on this. but it isnt for me but a mate, and im a bit short on time

-------------------------------------

why is it that when i use mirc my net connection crashes after about 20 mins an i have to restart my pc for it to work?, if i use the normal any help?>
---------------------------------------------

he says it crashes his msn as well.

thanks on behalf of him

#87743 21/06/04 09:04 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It could be many factors. What does he mean by "crash" - it freezes up and he needs to force close it? He disconnects?

If it's affecting MSN too then I doubt it's an mIRC issue. Perhaps he has a virus, or if it's that he is disconnecting from the Internet perhaps someone is attacking him. For the former, send him to this thread as it has a number of good resources.

Is he doing anything specific before the crash (i.e. running any commands or receiving a file etc.)?

What version of mIRC is he using? What OS? What scripts, if any, is he running? It's hard to help someone through their friend, tell them to come here and register themselves smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#87744 21/06/04 09:08 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Does your "friend", actually know its mIRC crashing it, and if so, how does he know this? as mIRC doesnt do anything with your "net connection" but merely transfer information to/from an IRC network when you are connected to the Internet to begin with.

I would recommend he check all this physical network connections, failing that, check you have the most up-to-date software/drivers for your modem/whatever, and that there isnt any problem with your ISP, also you might want to reboot the PC, connect to the Internet, and leave it sit there for 20 - 30 minutes to see if the connection fails WITHOUT running mIRC as then you can eliminate that it isnt mIRC.. (which it more than likely isnt) failing that run a virus scanner, if he doesnt have a software one he might try, a FREE online one at.. Trend Micro

#87745 21/06/04 09:36 PM
S
state Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
he said

well tell them when i dnt use mirc my net connection doesnt suffer at all , but when i use it it disables my online software, ie. msn. an intenret explorer, an mozilla =/

#87746 21/06/04 09:39 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well, in which case.. either

a) he has something bad in his remotes in which case he should check that out... or try /remote off

or

b) he has a slow internet connection and has to many things connecting to the Internet at once. (also includes large channels).

If non of these are the case then as the previous posts suggests try a virus scan.

Link Copied to Clipboard