Print Thread
#87645 20/06/04 03:58 PM
G
gpn Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I haven't seen this mentioned, but, using 6.15....

Filtering from one window to another has, at some point, changed colors. It used to write to the custom output window using the Normal Text color, but now it is writing with the Listbox Text color. Unfortunately, it still uses the Normal Background color, which, on my system happens to result in white-on-white unreadable text.

I thought my alias had suddenly broken and failed to filter, but I discoverd by selecting the text that it was actually all there, just invisible due to the bad combination of colors.

By default, since the window bacground is Normal, the default text should also be Normal.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I tested with both a window -dl and a window -d (i.e. listbox and normal windows, respectively). I would expect the -dl window to use listbox colour by default, which it does, but the normal window does not use Normal colour.

However, aline <em>does</em> use the expected colours when writing to the windows.

Sais
G
gpn Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Actually, I was not using any switches in the /window command, just "/window @filt", so it wasn't a desktop window, but thanks for confirming that behavior as well.

Apparently the bug is not in /aline but only in the /filter -ww, /filter -sw, and similar command output to a custom non-listbox window.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am unable to reproduce this problem here. Can you create a simple script that reproduces the problem for you?

G
gpn Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Sure.

First, let me say that the behavior has partially changed in v6.16. It still is not "fixed", it's just broken differently. Here's what happens now.

When I filter -ww from a channel to a custom window, some but not all of the text that is copied includes the -burk color and attribute information, both foreground an background. That's a change from previous versions. Note that the -z switch is not used, so -burk attributes should not be copied. It's hard to predict exactly what text is colored and which is not.

But the bug I'm talking about still persists with most of the text, and persists with all of the text when the source window is the Status Window, /filter -sw. In that case, the output foreground color is the Listbox text color (in my case White) on a Normal background color (in my case, White). So the text is unreadable. (My colors are set so that normal windows are black on white, listboxes are white on black.)

Here's an alias I actually use, called "/filt". To use it, go to any channel window or the Status window and type

/filt searchstring

It is supposed to open a custom window called @filt and fill it with all the text from the current window that matches searchstring. I used it instead of the built-in Find function to scan back quickly to see who said what.

If you type /filt searchstring in a channel window, (and your Listbox text is the same color as your Normal background) you might see some text in v6.16. If you try to /filt in the Status window, it comes out (for me) all White on White. (I can tell there's text there, if I select it.

This bug was apparently introduced in Ver 6.15, or possibly the version before. Prior to that, /filter -ww and /filter -sw would produce output in Normal Text on Normal Background.

For the time being I can fix it by adding the -z switch, but I really don't want the colors to begin with, just the text.

Thanks.

Code:
alias filt {
  if ($active == Status Window) {
   .timer 1 0 filter -swp @filt * $+ $$1 $+ * 
  }
  else { 
    .timer 1 0 filter -pww $active @filt * $+ $$1- $+ * 
  }
  window -c @filt 
  window @filt 
  titlebar @filt $active $time