mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#863 10/12/02 09:20 AM
P
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
P
I'm not sure how to really ask this question, so I am going to try and explain it the best way I can. I am working on an mIRC Script, and after I finish I was wondering how I can make it as a (zip/exe) file, so that other people can download it and use it? Thanks for any help. smile

#864 10/12/02 09:25 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
You'd need to download winzip or winrar (or another zip program). Once you have the program it's pretty straight forward (you can usually drag and drop or right click your files to find the options), and their help files are actually helpful :P

Winrar can make self extracting .exe's, but I don't know about winzip. Also note some people are rather cautious around any .exe :P

Hope that helps. smile

#865 10/12/02 09:27 AM
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Goto www.winzip.com and get winzip - read the help - its quite simply to use smile
Note: I would not make an EXE file - people might think you are sending a virus! - Juts a hint smile

DALnet: #HelpDesk, #mIRC, #MISHScript - Undernet: #mIRC, #mIRC-Scripts
#866 10/12/02 09:29 AM
P
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
P
Thanks grin

#867 10/12/02 09:29 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If you have your own website, you can host the file there with a link to it on one of your web pages. If you don't have one, there are lots of free web hosting sites available on the Internet - use your favorite search engine (such as google or yahoo) to find them.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you NOT use a self-extracting zip file (.exe), since most of us will not download and run an exe file we do not trust, regardless of whether or not we use anti-virus software. New virii pop up all the time for which those AV programs do not yet have definitions.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#868 12/12/02 03:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is a false perception. EXE doesn't mean virus any more than any other download. I'd be more concerned about what makes up the unzipped package. If it's a full script and there's backdoors in it what makes it any less dangerous by making it a .zip instead of a .exe? I've released scripts and addons for 3 1/2 years all time using Winzip Self Extractor and not once have I either been asked to provide a .zip or anyone complaining about virii.

You are more likely to get stung by a trojan downloaded from a corrupted website on a free webhost if you ask me.

#869 12/12/02 06:37 PM
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
The thing with *.exe files that you don't get a list of everything that it does. It executes. It could be putting files all over the place and you wouldn't even know it.

At least when you get a *.zip file, you know where all the files are going. And if you want to check all the script files for backdoors, you can do so.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
#870 12/12/02 06:40 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:
This is a false perception. EXE doesn't mean virus any more than any other download. I'd be more concerned about what makes up the unzipped package.

There is a huge difference between having to run an executable to see what it does and loading a script (or source code) that you can read before you load it (or compile it). (This presupposes, of course, that you can completely understand what it is you're reading.) Perhaps if you could read straight through and understand, you might have been able to create the code to begin with, perhaps not.

Quote:
If it's a full script and there's backdoors in it what makes it any less dangerous by making it a .zip instead of a .exe?

The main difference is that someone (me, in this case) can read your script and check for backdoors or other surprises. I don't have to load it and run it to see if I now have a surprise.

Quote:
I've released scripts and addons for 3 1/2 years all time using Winzip Self Extractor and not once have I either been asked to provide a .zip or anyone complaining about virii.

That's nice, I'm proud of you. However, many of the rest of us are wary of blindly running an EXE file. I, personally, don't have much problem with infecting myself with a virus/trojan and have even been known to do so on purpose. I have the know-how to get rid of it, too; JoeAverageUser does not.

Quote:
You are more likely to get stung by a trojan downloaded from a corrupted website on a free webhost if you ask me.

You're right - going to a free webhost and downloading any of the filetypes that trojans are deployed in is asking for trouble. However, had you spent very much time on IRC in help channels or in some of the larger chat channels, you'd see a hole host of people who'd prove you wrong with their monumental ignorance (not stupidity). We regularly see those idiotic $decode /writes to set up a spammer just to spam that $decode. We see people every single day who have gotten themselves infected with IRC trojans; research shows that most of them have downloaded some infected warez on IRC or, as you mentioned, got their warez from a shady web page.

Scripts you can read before you try; source code you have to compile requires a compiler but allows you to read what it will do before you run it. EXE files are unknowns. It might be a harmless self-extracting ZIP file -- or it might be a very bad trojan. Which is it, trojan or virus? (And by the way, trojans CAN be embedded into a normal .zip file such that you don't even have to extract the files.)

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C

Link Copied to Clipboard