mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#85975 08/06/04 09:26 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Any IRC-client out there (any I know about) has Perl-support.
Why not mIRC?
I mean... mIRC isn't a bad client (it's still my favorite) but why does it lack such a important feature?
Not everyone is happy with the mIRC-scripting language...
I, for my part, HATE mIRC-script... and because I don't want to use mIRC-script I can't write scripts for my favorite IRC-client without using evil, underground perl-hacks wich aren't really portable for other users who might want to use my scripts...

So long.

#85976 08/06/04 10:18 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I think it would be nice if people had a choice of scripting languages for mIRC. And if it could be implemented without a huge increase to the mIRC.exe size.

I for one would be interested to see this, Even though I am very comfortable with mIRC script.

#85977 09/06/04 01:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I mean... mIRC isn't a bad client (it's still my favorite) but why does it lack such a important feature?

It's not important. Use Klient if you want to script in Perl. You are right that not everyone likes mIRC sripting but not everyone likes coding in Perl either. It is also un-necessary and perhaps over-engineered. mIRC's scripting language is quite powerful enough for the job required of it.

#85978 09/06/04 02:08 PM
X
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
X
Why clutter up a good thing? Add more potential bugs/problems. The mIRC language is Fine. If other languages were incorporated I wouldnt use them. (unless i HAD to)

my 2 cents

-cheers

sometimes these are as bad as quit messages :tongue:
#85979 16/06/04 01:01 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I don't think that perl is a source of bugs or problems... why would any other client use it if it was?
perl5 is quite stable, there are libs to include it quite fast and easy...
maybe mIRC language is fine to you...
but... I'm used to quite powerfull and mature languages (such as perl5 and c++) and to me... mIRC-script is THE source of bugs and problems...
further...
to me mIRC-script would be the third language I use regularly (counting c and c++ as 1)... and that's quite some stuff to remember... e.g. no $var in c++/c, $var in perl and %var in mIRC... and that's just the tiny top of the iceberg...

so long

#85980 16/06/04 03:48 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The mIRC scripting language can only be as buggy as a coder makes it. mIRC itself may have the occasional bug but no more than any other programme out there. If mIRC has trouble reading it's own scripting language then it's likely to have trouble reading any language.

Languages like Perl are totally un-necessary, especially for established clients like mIRC that have evolved over years doing what it does best, providing the IRC community with an "allrounder" client to use on IRC with an easy to read help file, reasonably easy scripting language (noting that even this isn't for all people) and a tonne of voluntary support around the world.

mIRC is popular because of what it is, not because of what some people want it to be.

Link Copied to Clipboard