L
I use invision help?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Hi lazyjoker,

First of all, just a couple of points..

'Invision' is a type of script, it has nothing to do with whether or not you can create a channel or not. There are lots of mIRC scripts on the Internet, all with different names, features, colours and so on. If you got the mIRC.exe file with the script than that is illegal (for them to include the mirc.exe) - you should delete the script and, if you need one, download the mIRC.exe from here and download a script from a website such as mircscripts.org or mirc.net. Secondly, Invision script concentrates a lot of the "file sharing" side of IRC - mIRC is not a file trading program, and mass/illegal file trading can get you infected with a virus. Just a forewarnings smile

Anyway, it's quite simple to create a channel! All you have to do is type /join #channel where '#channel' is the name of the channel. For example, /join #mIRC would join a channel called '#mIRC'. You must be connected to an IRC server for you to be able to join a channel. For help with setting up mIRC and connecting, see the How To Install page.

As you may know, some networks do allow channels to be registered. If you join an empty channel then you should automatically get 'opped' (this means you get an '@' symbol next to your nickname). If you join, and the channel is empty, and you automatically get deopped, the chances are the channel is already registered. Check in the network's #Help channel if they support channel services (not all networks do).

If the channel you create is not registered and nobody is in it, then again ask in the #Help channel on the network you use for help with registering a channel. Some channel services include ChanServ, X, Q or L. Sometimes it's very easy to register a channel and all you need is a registered nickname/username. Other times it is much harder and you need "supporters" for the channel, and you must have been registered for a certain period of time, etc. etc.. It might also be an idea to check out the network's website - If you don't know the website address, ask in #Help or search Google - there is often advice, tips and further help on the website.

As the biggest networks are the ones you're more likely to be using, I'll just point out that the big networks with channel services include DALnet (ChanServ), Undernet (X) and Quakenet (Q and L). IRCnet and EFnet do not have channel services.

Also note that the mIRC program itself has nothing to do with channel services - they are unique to the network you use and support for them must be obtained in the network's #Help (or equivalent) channel or on their website. Often, if you message the service the word 'help' (e.g. /msg X Help) you will get help from the channel service itself.

G'luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
K
Just type "/join #" and attach whatever you want the name of the channel to be to the #. Such as "/join #joker".

I doubt he wants to read all of that since he apparently didn't want to take the time to punctuate his sentence. That looks quite excessive either way. Like an unrequested demonstration of knowledge. wink

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Please don't put down what other people have said, it's not necessary, a bit of common courtesy is expected smile

Not everyone can speak good English that come to this board, so it's not that people can't be "bothered" to punctuate their sentence correctly, they just don't know all of the grammatical symbols yet. They may also want to limit the length of their post because they can't speak English very well. Some people find it much easier to READ a language than they can writing it or speaking it.

It was not an "unnrequested demonstration of knowledge" - No particular guidelines were set out, and I like to give as much information as possible. Channel registration can be quite complicated for a new user and due to the different type of Services there are, and the fact not all networks have them, the topic can be reasonably long. The phrase "create a channel" is ambiguous and doesn't necessarily mean they just want to join a channel as you repeated. It also came across as if they thought 'Invision' was perhaps some form of mIRC - many people think scripts ARE a version of mIRC. I wanted to make this clear.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
stop defending yourself. (we know u dont need to) smile you stopped and helped the original poster. move along.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If someone wishes to put down or otherwise speak of one of my posts in a manner that is negative then of course I will defend myself, as 90% of people would. You're not here to dictate to me what I can and cannot do unless I'm breaking forum rules.

Quite why some people can't just let me get on with helping people as I do without making snide comments or interfering negatively I don't know. frown

* Mentality sighs and stops posting in this thread

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
well. i can say that i am actually offended by your remarks of dictation. in no way am i telling you what to do. but why defend urself if u know ur right. and knowingly going to start something by defending yourself.

Quote:
Quite why some people can't just let me get on with helping people as I do without making snide comments or interfering negatively I don't know.

well. i have given up trying to bring your world down. your english and i am american. (dont think about that one to much)

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Click this for a concise answer.

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:

Link Copied to Clipboard