mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#8514 27/01/03 06:52 AM
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Hey people I am really new to mIRC and this is the first time that I have been to the messageboard.

From what I can see of the set up it is mad and I love what I see so far!

Just one thing I wold like to know, I vist area51 all the time I use the program can anyone tell me if there is another channel that is busy like that where I can get music, apps, movies and all the same files that I find in area51?

Anyhelp would be great as I dont really know what Im doing or where Im going!

Hollywood.

#8515 27/01/03 07:01 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Welcome aboard! Well first of all it depends on what network you want to chat on, as well as what channel is right for you but i would recommend that you are cautious when doing any downloading especially if it is from your own mother because of the fact that people can infect your computer with a virus/trojan. Also if you are unsure about what network you want to chat on there is a server.ini file that you can download here just put it into your mIRC folder and when you are ready to connect just choose a network and a server... If you have any questions or what not the people here will give you a hand..

#8516 27/01/03 07:07 AM
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Yeah thanks for that Game, I am fully up to speed on viruses and the like thats why I have the latest in antivirus and firewall protection (well as good as you can have with a software based firewall).

If you are around anyrooms that Im in dont feel shy in coming up and saying hello brother!

Hollywood

#8517 27/01/03 08:51 AM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
You may also consider that mIRC is a CHAT proggram, not filesharing tool.

#8518 27/01/03 09:46 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Yes I agree it is a chat program not a file share program. But no matter how many times some one tells someone what its intended for people still do it so i just simply stated that IF they use it for that reason to be aware of the consequences. Also what i dont get is even though I know for a fact that mIRC is a chat program and thats the primary use then why is there filesharing options included? And yes im well aware of the primary use. Like i said I was just simply giving them a warning.

#8519 27/01/03 02:03 PM
G
Babel fish
Babel fish
G
I agree the constant repetition of "mIRC is not a fileshare program" is annoying.

#8520 27/01/03 04:52 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
If ppl used the search feature or read the sticky posts at the top of each forum, we wouldnt have to repeat so much :tongue:
Since that seems to be against human nature, we will have to continue to either repeat ourselves for new posters or refer them to the search feature.

While you find "the constant repetition of "mIRC is not a fileshare program" to be annoying, i find it annoying that in spite of all efforts to warn ppl, there still is the need to spend a great deal of time helping ppl who have become infected.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#8521 27/01/03 05:18 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Agreed. "mIRC is not a filesharing program" is annoying if it's just left at that. If it's backed up with why it's not primarily a filesharing program, and the risks of such activities pointed out to newbies, then at least they can make an informed decision about it. What they then choose to do with that information is up to them, but I'd risk repeating myself over and over with warnings. It's not just themselves that could be affected.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#8522 27/01/03 05:38 PM
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Thanks for all the welcomes, but I did not mean to turn this into a bitch fest brothers!

Hollywood

#8523 27/01/03 08:44 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree the constant repetition of "mIRC is not a fileshare program" is annoying.

Yes it is annoying, especially since it is patently false. We all know that mIRC comes with file transfer facilites for those that wish to share the occasional file with those they chat with. This is so they don't have to download P2P programmes that are primarily written to allow people to share wares with. Bear in mind that alot of P2P programmes contain spyware and also a mechanism that allows the copyright holder to use your spare processing power and disc space to rent out to other entities, usually companies.

One thing annoys me more than the chants of "mIRC is just a chat programme" or "mIRC is not a filesharing programme" and that is moderators who post this bull in sticky threads which are locked so the issue cannot be debated. Either freedom of speech is a crime these days or perhaps it's just a case of those with the power to do so forcing their opinions on everyone else. Therefore I had my say on the issue right here. :tongue:

The only related issue I can come to terms with is that mIRC shouldn't be used as a wares trading bot. That though comes down to the wishes of the end user, not an issue of mIRC's capabilities.

#8524 27/01/03 09:32 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I'm not sure if i should be doing this but If you wanna get rid of the spyware and popup advertisements for Kazaa, this website has an addon for kazaa to cut down on spyware and what not.....plus it supercharges your downloads supposedly....Try using this instead of mIRC...

#8525 28/01/03 04:53 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Oh come now.. many ppl have given their opinions on this subject in various threads both now and in "old" board. I believe you yourself have stated your opinion on the subject before.. so i hardly see where a locked sticky has held anyone back. Yegawds, i cant count the number of times this discussion has been brought up. So much for stifling Freedom of Speech.

I have stated more than once that mIRC was written/intended to be a chat medium, that just because you CAN do something doesnt mean its the best way/safe/right. I dont know of any moderator closing a thread or deleting it just because a user posted his opinion on this or asked how. So how on earth does one sticky become some power play/infliction of opinion?

Yes, mIRC has file sharing abilities. No, it isnt the best/fastest way. Yes, many things "traded" are illegal.. and i have also stated more than once that i am not sitting as judge and jury, but that users should educate themselves as to the risks involved and investigate other software better suited and use mIRC for its intended purpose. Yes, it is against AUP on many networks.

Yes, i get frustrated at the many users who state clearly they dont want to read the simplest help areas, but just demand to be told how to get whatever it is they want.. and then come back howling for help cause they got infected. These same users infect others and it becomes a vicious cycle. And why? cause they want to get something for nothing. I'll bet the vast majority of those ppl havent even had the courtesy/honesty to register mIRC.

And yes, regardless of your or anyone else's opinion on this, i will exercise MY right to express MINE. Any user who thinks mIRC is the best way to get files of whatever kind is wrong. mIRC was not intended to be filesharing central. Anyone who accepts anything anyone sends them is asking for trouble. Odd that you, who proclaim the right to your opinion, would object others expressing theirs.

#8526 28/01/03 04:56 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
not to worry.. this subject regularly results in disagreements/differences of opinion smile

#8527 28/01/03 05:01 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just my usual reminder that before you use any addon, you should review it and be sure of exactly what it does/doesnt do for your own protection. Dunno what its "supercharger" is, but "speed patches" have been known to cause probs since many of them make registry changes.

Link Copied to Clipboard