mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#84218 26/05/04 10:34 PM
K
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
K
What's the best network to find movies, mp3's and games?

#84219 26/05/04 10:37 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
mIRC is not a file trading program. It is illegal to get those types of files, aswell as a good way to get viruses. The FServe in mIRC was created quite a few years ago and is not very good for file trading. The DCC protocol is not the best for mass file trading either. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and should be used primarily for that purpose.

Due to these reasons, and others, we don't help with illegal file trading on this forum. See this post.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#84220 27/05/04 11:09 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
efnet

#84221 27/05/04 11:19 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I refuse to relent on this issue.

"Due to these reasons, and others, we don't help with illegal file trading on this forum."

Why do you insist on doing so? Just one simple word such as yours is enough to answer their question aswell as directly contradict what someone else has posted, which is just rude in this case. This also assists someone on the path to illegal file trading, even if you are just providing a network name. Providing help to REACH an illegal goal is just as bad as helping them indepth.

I know I'm slightly more emphatic about this issue than others, but I still think that was out of order *shrugs*

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#84222 27/05/04 11:26 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
you have the right to not answer or to answer. but your crossing a line when you speak for EVERYONE on the forums.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84223 27/05/04 11:29 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I didn't speak for everyone. Sorry if I seem..*thinks* bossy? However, I'm strongly against such activities, particularly with mIRC - and I am not telling others not to help with such activities, those are the forum rules made up by the mods/khaled/krejt/whoever as the link I posted to in my first reply points out.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#84224 27/05/04 11:37 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
its cool man.

anyways. i don't even know if thats really a RULE. because she states "WE" like you did. so perhaps it was on the same basis you just explained. just merely a reitteration?

also noted in your link to her thread. was a statement saying that not most networks accept filetrading of that sort. but as Bunar stated "efnet" IS a network that accepts it.

but be it as it may.

to the dude up top. just be carefule when you download. you can get a lot of useless crap that will screw your computer up. if your going to be doing the whole file sharing bit. at least be smart about it and save us some trouble by double scanning your files for viruses. we dont need anymore "drones" or viruses being passed along on IRC smile

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84225 27/05/04 11:38 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
and you whine too much

#84226 28/05/04 12:24 AM
P
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
P
okay smile

#84227 28/05/04 06:41 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Nightcrawler:
"anyways. i don't even know if thats really a RULE."

We have very few "rules" or "policies" (pick the word you prefer) but one is clearly stated in the thread created by a moderator and posted by Mentality. Other moderators have reiterated that policy and made reference to the same thread. Just to clarify, the term "we" in this post and in that sticky means this message board. I consider telling ppl what network to go to in search of mass filesharing to be helping them.

bunar: stating an opinion or informing ppl of the policies of this forum or the dangers involved in something they want to do isnt "whining". Comments like that can only lead to flame wars, which is a waste of everyone's time.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#84228 02/06/04 09:40 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
using the word "WE" sounds a bit tyranic. the forum is for users where moderators are here to choose to help or not to help and make sure things dont get out of hand. freedom of speech is something that comes to mind but is something usually taken for granted so i try not to preach on it in fear of getting "flammed" so. maybe at the time of the forums creation "WE" was meant for the people who were currently members and at the time all of you probably didnt agree with file sharing. BUT after a year or so. you start getting members who disagree. creating a diversity in opinion. so. why play god? i mean. in my post my intentions were not harful. i know if past posts i have said that these people will go around and find a way if you dont help them. someone else always will. so. why not tell them (depending on the rational of the question) the answers and then follow it with possible risks and a short statment of how to prevent such "bad" things from occuring.

so what im trying to say is. give them what they want and then warn them of the consequences for if you turn the other cheek. they will get help from someone else who is likely to abuse them or not tell them the risks.

kinda like telling ur kid its bad to smoke cigarettes and the risks involved. but do they listen? they need to learn from their mistakes. or a better analogy would be. telling yer kid not to touch the stove. once they do. they never do it again.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84229 02/06/04 10:23 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
People may well get help from elsewhere, however, we're not going to be the ones who do it - there are people who have been deterred from file sharing (at least with mIRC) due to our warnings minus the help.

If we give them JUST the warnings, then they find help elsewhere, they've got the same result but in a slower way, and actually some people would have been deterred in the process - why speed up their path to breaking the law?

And as for "playing God" I don't think anyone is - regulars here who are against file sharing OR the moderators. The mods are here to make sure things don't get out of hand, but they are also here to enforce the forum rules - one of the few rules here is that we don't help with file sharing. As you've probably noticed, there is no tyranny or a long list of rules, thankfully this forum isn't like that - but there HAS to be some because otherwise everything, rather than occasional incidents, would get out of hand and it would be chaos!
There's also plenty of "freedom of speech" here, some threads may get locked due to them going completely off topic in relation to why the thread was started or other reasons, but the posts are usually not deleted from what I've seen and people's opinions are left for all to see. Not helping with illegal/mass file sharing is not a restriction of freedom of speech, it's a way to inform people who have been misinformed and misguided as to what mIRC/IRC is for and give them a chance to stay safe or use mIRC for its correct purpose.

Every aspect of this discussion has been gone through before by many people (the file sharing rule, how moderators act, the "freedom of speech" issue) - I don't think it's necessary to go through it all again smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#84230 02/06/04 11:46 PM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
i gave my reasons. my statements and my opinions. and i am not here as a "WE" i am here as a me. when i help people i dont care what other people think. if to you that means helping people spread viruses. then thats all ur own.

i will use this forum to answer questions. if it is not liked. then ban me. the last thing i want to do is start a quarrel. i usually mind my own business. i dont chime crap away. if someone helps another. then so be it. whether its "opinioned" that i shouldnt with certain topics.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84231 03/06/04 12:19 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
the last thing i want to do is start a quarrel

[soapbox]
I find that hard to believe with the number of posts you make regarding your views on this subject. If you don't want to start a quarrel, help those people do the illegal things you're so fond of helping them with in a private message where no one else can see it.
[/soapbox]

my two cents worth

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#84232 03/06/04 12:22 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
well if i do it in private. then i cant leave it in the open for everyone else who has the same question to see frown after all. all you people like posting links to answer questions. wink

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84233 03/06/04 07:22 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You are forgetting something. A kid touching the stove isn't illegal. Stealing other people's work is. Telling people how to go about stealing is as bad as stealing itself.

You are also wrong when speaking about the role of the moderators. It is the moderator's role to make sure (within their capacity to do so) that illegal activity does not occur here. This is why helping people steal software is wrong, and sometimes posts pertaining to it are scrutinised/altered.

#84234 04/06/04 06:25 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
i have already stated what i will do. i am done with this thread

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#84235 04/06/04 02:55 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
In my opinion help is help regardless if its the right or wrong thing because I really don't care.

Some people will point the way to where a person needs to go for filesharing. That's fine, cause if that person gets caught its all on their head and they were warned of the possible reprocussions that go with it whether it is to them or their computer.

Some others on the other hand refuse to help. That is fine too. It should be a given by now that whenever people make requests like this, posts are gonna contradict one another. If you do help in private that's fine, but making it known is only gonna start another future closed thread and god only knows we have enough of em here relating to the issue at hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard