Print Thread
#84055 25/05/04 07:32 AM
B
BSN Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Hey, lately i been getting a wierd problem with my mIRC, im using v6.14 and everytime the programs been running a while it goes wierd, by....everytime i try and connect to somewhere or reconnect, it will crash in the same way the DCC exploit in 6.x did, completely crash to one of those "program must close, send error report" windows
it works perfectly fine when first run then seemingly becomes unstable.

anyways, i was wondering if anyone knows what might cause it, a scripting error? dll error? or bug in mirc? or window xp?

it seems to crash saying MSVCRT.dll

im using my own personal script, and it does use afew DLL's but no one else complains of this problem : / so i dont think its a script error or a dll problem, maybe a reinstallation of windows is needed?

#84056 25/05/04 11:36 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Hey there,

There is no known exploit in mIRC 6.14 so it's not an exploit of some sort. In the unlikely event you're running SysReset script, unload it. If you're running a large amount of DCC sessions then try closing them.

I suggest you install a fresh copy of mIRC to a different directory and run that mIRC, with no scripts, for just a day or however many hours (at an estimate) it usually takes mIRC to crash. If it doesn't crash then it's probably a script. If it does crash then it might be a Windows issue.

If there anything specific you're doing before mIRC crashes? A command? A popup or anything?

You might wish to check for viruses, there are a few trojans out there that use that DLL, might be causing the issue. Some antivirus resources can be found here. Make sure you actually have the DLL, usually in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL for Windows XP. Don't touch it, just see that it's there! It probably is for such an error to occur.

That DLL is apparently part of C's runtime library, you can download it here if you don't have it. You may also find this article of interest. Also this thread has some interesting thoughts.

Hope this helps smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#84057 25/05/04 07:07 PM
B
BSN Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Thanks for the help, i didnt know that DLL was associatedwith MS Visual Studio and i noticed in one of the article it mentioned the DLL could be too old and i was using VS6 so now im installing VS .net 2003 in an attempt it might update the DLL's

im gonna try running a clean mirc as well jsut to see.

Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard