mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#83740 22/05/04 12:05 AM
K
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
I noticed on IRC chat rooms, there are positions called IRCops. how would you reach this level?

#83741 22/05/04 12:32 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
there are 3 ways and only 2 of which i would recommend.

1) you make your own irc server. this way you can learn all the commands and such.

2) you help a whole lot on the help channels and get yourself noticed.

3) you go to THIS link and check the recruitment forums. ( most of these people will ask for experience) so please see 1 and 2.

if you do not know what an IRCop is. click HERE

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
#83742 22/05/04 12:33 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
IRCops are the runners of the network. They maintain the network. They have the ability to disconnect people from the IRC network and ban people if need be.

To reach such a level, an administrator of the server needs to add you. This is generally only given to very trusted people, and not generally given to just anyone who wants it. They do not have any specific 'power' over a channel -whilst they often have access to control channels, the power is not exercised unless there are people breaking rules of the network. Otherwise, channels are just left to be looked after by the channel ops (@).

On most networks, particularly the big ones (such as EFnet/DALnet etc.) it is impossible to get IRCop status except if you link a server (if you don't know how to do that the chances are you can't) or if a server admin adds you - which is highly unlikely.

Hope this has been informative smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#83743 22/05/04 04:55 AM
K
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
K
okay. That helps thanks. But how would I create my own IRC server?

#83744 22/05/04 11:09 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Linking a server to a large network is very hard, and requires sponsorship from large ISPs or universities that can donate the bandwidth to run the server, due to the huge load that the servers will undergo.

Smaller servers could be hosted on shell accounts. These servers are not accepted by most networks due to their instability etc., but if you're running a server for a few friends then it's ok. This does cost money. Search Google for things like "shell accounts" or "IRCD processes. It does cost money.

An IRCd (Internet Relay Chat daemon) generally only works on non-Windows systems, i.e. FreeBSD, but Unreal IRCd is one that works on Windows. WIRCd's (Windows Internet Relay Chat daemon) are basically IRCds that run on Windows. They are not as stable and generally considered not as good as IRCds. You can get them from wircds.net .

Ask in the #Help channel or ask a network IRC Operator for information on how to link a server and what teams deal with the linking of servers and what websites to visit, etc etc.

Hope this helps smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard