mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#81952 05/05/04 03:55 AM
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
i've written a trivia script for mIRC, and wanted to run a single version of mIRC with this script. Whilst this is obviously possible, it seems a bit silly to run a fully interactive version of mIRC simply for a bots purpose.

Might be cool to have a trimmed down version of mIRC that supports loading of scripts, but no console input and such.

Would also be awesome if there was a way to make this mIRC Bot run as a service on a computer, rather than an application, so that it has the capability to run without a user being logged in.

Just an idea I had floating around smile

#81953 05/05/04 05:00 AM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
why not write a socket bot then?

#81954 05/05/04 05:55 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This has been discussed before. Not only would there simply be enough time to keep up with two versions of mIRC (i.e. decide what should be cut out, deal with bugs that occur because things cut out, would cutting out X feature affect Y feature etc.) but also a feature would be removed and then another person who makes a bot would say "I didn't want that feature removed, I use it for my bot." etc.

Personally I see way too many difficulties caused by releasing gimmick versions of mIRC. You might try using the Search feature for threads that relate to creating "preliminary" versions of mIRC, and the reasons put forward by the majority as to why there shouldn't be any. Expand to 'All Forums' (Although you could probably leave it on 'Feature Suggestions') and expand to 'All Posts' for best results.

My 2 cents smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81955 05/05/04 06:38 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Agreed. A socket bot would seem to be the most sensible way of avoiding launching a second copy of mIRC just for the trivia...

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#81956 05/05/04 06:49 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
#81957 05/05/04 07:30 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
What's the point of that?

The original poster said they were writing mIRC script not TCL, and if they don't want a second copy even of mIRC running, I can't imagine they want to go to the trouble of learning TCL, setting up an Eggdrop, paying for an Eggable shell etc...

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#81958 05/05/04 09:45 AM
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
You could always just set up a multi-server script, although this might be a bit tideous you might find it better than a socket bot :shrug:

You won't like it when I get angry.
#81959 05/05/04 11:37 AM
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Thanks for the suggestions folks, and apologies for not taking the time to search before posting. I was in a little bit of a rush getting ready for uni :tongue:

And yeah, trying to avoid using eggdrop and TCL and all that other stuff. The task I set myself was to create a bot in mIRC Scripting. Defeats the whole purpose if I go and start trying to rewrite it for eggdrop :P

Cheers peeps smile

#81960 07/05/04 06:34 PM
C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
These seem to be very recurring.

Perhaps a sticky post should be made voicing the developer's current stance on this. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like people use the search feature very many times, so I doubt they take the time to read the stickies.

Just my opinion. I'm for the idea, but as said before, it would be quite an undertaking.

I'm sure however that it would raise to popularity rather quickly if it were ever done.

<]dD[Makaveli> where can i get a clanboy (08:57 pm) <]dD[Makaveli> clanbot

Link Copied to Clipboard