mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
rennir Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Okay, minor issue with mIRC I have currently. And that is, better buffer handleing support. The input buffer suffers from 2 primary issues. One, it seems to have a limit of 1k characters, but that's not just it, once it reaches that limit, it instantly does a Carrage Return and the users output is sent without their consent.

Secondly, anything after the 947 character point, it croped from the buffer, and unavailable to scripts, thus resulting in loss of data.

What I would like to see, is not only an increased buffer of over 1k available characters, but also that it does NOT automaticly send a Carrage Return AND that the avialable buffered data be everything the user entered. Even a 1.5k or 2k buffer would be sufficent, as long as it didn't behave so poorly.

Any thoughts?

Rennir

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
IRC itself does not support messages of over 512 bytes (link), so a buffersize of ~940 bytes is quite a bit more than strictly necessary already. If I recall correctly, IRC servers will also inject newlines if they receive messages longer than 512 bytes.

That said, why would you need a larger buffer?

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
rennir Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I've developed a cut script which basicly takes a breaks up a message into 430 character or less 'paragraphs' and then posts them in order into a chat room so that long messages can be displayed without any loss if information.

The problem is that, After 947 characters, any remaining information is lost, and something like at 1000 characters inserted, the application instantly bails out the edit window and automaticly posts the information without the users consent. THAT is a bug in my opinion, it should at least just stop the user from entering any more data and then just beep back to him in warning and at best, be double or triple this size for those who are very very verbose.

Rennir

Link Copied to Clipboard