Print Thread
C
clock Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
hi

a couple of weeks i updated to mIRC 6.14. first its seems to be fine. but then i started filetransfers.

some transfers made it, but then my computer was not reachable (error message on the server windows).
ok maybe thats a fileserver think. but after gettig more files mIRC 6.14 went instable. and crashes.
it did this serveral times while (many) filetransfers running or was running.

because of this instability i went back to 6.12 and have no problems anymore.

is there a new way mirc handles filetransfers ??? was it tested under win98(se) ???

i have to say. i forwardiing 5 ports to mirc to do dcc filetransfer.
it is working in mirc 6.12 and i can do a lot of transfers and mirc is running.. and running....... running ...

so hope that helps somehow to fix the problem/bug.

bye
clock

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quite why so many issues keep coming up reporting that they have issues with DCC in 6.14 but not in 6.12 (and previous) versions I don't know, but there have been numerous threads started about the issue so you might like to use the Search feature and look through those threads, see if the suggestions help you out. Expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

That said, mIRC is not a file sharing program - mIRC and the DCC protocol were never designed to handle lots of (large?) DCC transfers, it was meant to be a means of simplistic file sharing via IRC (i.e. share your latest christmas pictures).

Personally I have had absolutely no issues using DCC, but I don't use FServes/XDCC bots, nor do I share lots of files and I've never sent/received a file bigger than 10MB in my IRC life - 6.14\XP Home & Pro.

By the way, I'm not disregarding it or anything, just because mIRC/DCC is not *meant* for large file sharing doesn't mean problems with mIRC shouldn't be fixed - if 6.14 isn't working and 6.12 is, then it should be investimigated smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I use 6.14 (since it was available) for a bot I have placed in a small private channel on a small network I won't name.

I (and several others) have one of the popular file sharing scripts loaded and running so that my family and several friends can download (and submit) genealogy files (generated by us) and pictures (generated by us) for our own purposes.

I use windows2000 (service pack 3), but others have 98 and 98se (and running serving scripts in the same channel) and do not seem to be having the problems you are having.

I personally have sent/received over 6000 files to these people in the past 60 days, with no problems whatever (best uptime is over 3 weeks, best IRC ontime is over 11 days).

My sister's bot has been there for 2 weeks now (win98 or SE .. not sure)

I know this is not helping you resolve your problem, but it might help those that are trying to fix it to know that there ARE systems working properly.

Re: Mentality "I've never sent/received a file bigger than 10MB in my IRC life"
I can't recall ever sending/receiving one that big either grin

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
R
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
R
I along with huge numbers of other "filesharers" have had numerous problems with dcc connectivity since upgrading to 6.14. Don't know what went wrong with this version but it is a real pain. I have been constantly on irc since 98 and havn't had a single problem until now. Don't know what it would take to correct this but please do it fast

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You've left it purely to imagination to see what you mean by "filesharers", but assuming you mean you're one of these people who sit in channels with XDCC bots advertising their "packs", perhaps you should use a program other than mIRC (which is not meant for mass file sharing) to participate in such downloads. If not, I hope for you "it" (and I have no idea what "it" is) gets fixed.

Just an FYI, it's hard to "fix it fast" - updates/patches for mIRC are not released. If anything is to be fixed, it will appear next version, or maybe even the version after that, and the date on which the next version is to be released is not announced smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
F
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
As a 'file sharer' I can confirm that mirc 6.14 causes problems. The problem in our channel is that 'gets' fail to connect for users of 6.14 i.e. notification of a send is seen in the server window followed by immediate notification of a connect failure despite the fact that the 'get' dialogue remains open for the full timeout duration (60secs?) saying it is 'accepting send'. Needless to say the 'get' fails. This problem can vary from just a few 'gets' failing in a series of sends to all of them failing. Interestingly the problems seem to be at their worst when both the sending and receiving pcs are running mirc 6.14. The length of the file does not seem to make a difference - most are beween 4 and 6mB.

It is well known in the channel now that the fix is to reinstall mirc 6.12 which gives no problems. I tried reinstalling 6.14 three times before giving up and reinstalling 6.12. I have had no further problems since then.

I hope this annoying bug can be fixed. Although file sharing may not be the primary purpose of mirc it is a very common use for the programme. Additionally 6.14 is the first version which has given a problem with this suggesting that it has been 'broken' somehow and needs fixing.

(I should point out that I am not aware anyone in our chan is experiencing pc crashes from this - just annoying file 'get' failures. Most users seem to be using windows XP).

I can only hope, like many others, that a fixed version (6.15) will appear shortly.

Link Copied to Clipboard