mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#81491 01/05/04 12:10 PM
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
In mIRC 6.14, if I press the backspace button in an empty text entry line, I keep getting a default windows beep. Same thing happens if I try any up/down/left/right arrows in any text entry line (up when there is no history only).

Now, I'm quite certain this didn't happen with 6.12, so I'm wondering if it's intentionally been added, or a bug? Because as far as I can see, it can't be disabled anywhere. I have all the sounds off, and it's still doing that. It also seems to have messed up the typewriter sound in ICQ, so that it now uses the whatever sound default beep in Windows is set to. It's extremely weird. At first I thought it was something with my Windows XP (SP1), but I just reinstalled it today and the first thing I installed was mIRC, and here's the beep again.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

P.S.
I asked a few other people if they get these beeps in mIRC 6.14 and they said no...

#81492 01/05/04 12:15 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
CLICK ME for another thread on this same subject

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#81493 01/05/04 12:27 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Ok, that explains some things, but a) I didn't notice this before 6.14 and b) it also affects other apps, such as ICQ. Though admittedly, I was using ICQ2003a before, and just installed 2003b when I started noticing this thing. But all other sounds in ICQ were ok, just the default beep kept replacing one sound, even when another was specified in the Sounds in ICQ.

I don't see the connection... Also, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing in both posts...

Last edited by Taluntain; 01/05/04 12:30 PM.
#81494 01/05/04 12:32 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Well, ICQ and mirc dont share any settings (that Im aware of) short of system specific settings (so if they both utilize (for example) emergency event and you have emergency event set to scream-bloody-murder.wav they should both do it). As I stated in that thread, I noticed it started but never counted it as a bug till now. ICQ wouldnt affect mirc and mirc wouldnt affect ICQ unless something REALLY funky was going on (to the best of my knowledge). Also, the version before 6.14 for mirc, what was it for you? I've updated every version from roughly 3.2 (or 3.8) on up.

#81495 01/05/04 12:38 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If it occurs in more than one application it would suggest to me it's not an mIRC bug but rather something to do with Windows. I only get the beep (I used the "press the down arrow key" example) when my PC speakers are on, and as /ebeeps are OFF with the "Use PC speaker" option disabled anyway, this would further indicate it isn't an mIRC problem specifically.
Also, if you access the Windows sound options through the taskbar, and select 'Mute all', the sound goes away in mIRC.

I don't really use ICQ so I don't know about that...but at an educated guess I don't reckon this is something Khaled can fix, but I could (and it's not improbable!) be wrong :tongue:

Oh yes, and I have been experiencing that beep as far back as I can remember, which is around 6.01ish sort of time, but I probably got it on 5.91 too (which is when I started). At that time I was using Windows 98. I use XP Home and Professional now...

Regards,

Last edited by Mentality; 01/05/04 12:41 PM.

Mentality/Chris
#81496 01/05/04 01:24 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I was using 6.12 before and I'm quite certain it didn't occur there... though, of course, I've changed Windows versions since then too. mad

#81497 01/05/04 01:27 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
That's jsut it, as the other thread suggested, it wa show NON 9x windows OS's handled the beeps. Copied from the first post of that thread:

In Win95/98/ME... in order to produce a PC Speaker Beep, you must use MessageBeep(0xFFFFFFFF). (this is what mIRC currently does).

In WinNT/2K/XP... you must use Beep(Freq, Duration) to produce sound through the PC Speaker. Using the MessageBeep(0xFFFFFFFF) only produces a MessageBeep(MB_OK) "Default Beep" (through the sound card).

So my next question of course is, which OS are you using now and what did you use then? I myself went from 95b to 2kpro sp3. It's also important to note that when posting a bug report, (and I know I dont always follow this myself) it's good to list as much info about yuor computer as possible and that can SOMTIMES include that you changed OSes recently smile

#81498 01/05/04 01:45 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Well, I did say I was using XP SP1 now in my first thread. the thing is, I didn't think it was relevant that I was using the original XP before, I thought there were no changes there that could affect this. So, before I've been using XP Pro (original), and now I've installed XP Pro SP1a. And considering I've reinstalled this OS twice in two days and am experiencing the same problems both times... I guess it must be something in that SP1a?

My problem has nothing to do with the PC speaker... just the windows default beep sound (which is normally ding.wav).

Last edited by Taluntain; 01/05/04 01:46 PM.
#81499 01/05/04 01:48 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
couldnt tell you and yes, you did say you were using XP in your first thread. I musta missed it (been known to happen on a minutely basis before lol). Some weird things have happened since Khaled changed compilers (not specifically blaming him or the compiler) - jsut some weird side effects is all. Mebbe this'll be taken care of in the future

#81500 01/05/04 01:54 PM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
The Backspace, Left and Right beeps are new to 6.14 i think, previously the others beeped.

#81501 01/05/04 01:58 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Maybe we should be able to have them in an option under sound events? Or maybe a new one called BEEPS so that we can decide how/when mirc should beep (and waht type - PC speaker, etc etc)

#81502 01/05/04 03:22 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Definitely... This still leaves the mystery of how ICQ manages to get one sound out of 30 replaced by the default beep though... A reply from Khaled would be welcome if he could clear this up (i.e. if these sounds are actually a recent addition, or something in the code, etc.)

#81503 02/05/04 06:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually, the reason for the beeps you are hearing in mIRC v6.14 is because Khaled added new Multibyte support to mIRC, and changed the Editbox in the process to a RichEdit field.

If you wish to revert this change to how it was in mIRC v6.12, go into ALT+O > IRC > Messages and uncheck [ ] Multibyte editbox. You may actually uncheck all four of those checkboxes at the bottom to completely disable any of the special character handling.

It is the RichEdit field control by Microsoft which causes the beeps you hear in mIRC and ICQ. Unchecking this option will make mIRC use a plain Edit field for the Editbox. Nothing fancy.

- Raccoon

Kodos to the other helpers here, as the first thing I would have suspected was the MessageBeep() compatability issue. After they ruled that out, the Multibyte change immediately made sense.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#81504 02/05/04 08:32 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hah, that sure did the trick, thanks! I noticed it still beeps when you use the up and down arrows, however. But it might have done that before too, I'm not sure.

Also, I noticed that in Help, both multibyte options are not properly indexed (it just says multibyte characters). Leftover from before, I guess.

#81505 03/05/04 11:53 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
yup, that was sure it here. At least I know why it happens now smile

Link Copied to Clipboard