Print Thread
#81115 28/04/04 06:52 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Hello,

I am having trouble getting files. Things worked fine 2 days ago, then I asked for some help in the channel, to start serving, and they asked me to change/try a few things with my modem. Well, not only can I not serve/send...but I can no longer recieve either. The changes I had made have been changed back in hopes to get things working again, but no luck. I don't know much about ports/proxies/firewalls etc. I'm on a network with 2 computers. I'm using the "other" one..not the main one. The main computer runs winproxy, and I was told my proxy was transparent. I use a d-link DSS-5+ switch. I'm on bellsouth fastaccess DSL. I think thats all the info. If anyone can help me figure out why I can no longer recieve files, it would be appreciated. I'm not concerned with sending/serving anymore....just wanna recieve again.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I get a "transfer incomplete" message after about 1 second of recieving any file.

#81116 28/04/04 07:51 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Receiving errors are usually problematic due to the sender's end, so try receiving from several people. Seeing as you can't send either though, it's more likely to be you.

A few issues about not being able to DCC receive are covered on this page. If you have 2 connected computers you're on a network.

Strange that you get "transfer incomplete" - I do not use DCC that much but this would imply to me that the connection between the two clients did occur briefly.

An educated guess would tell me that the D-link DSS-5+ box is causing the issue. Try disconnecting (read the manual to do it safely) it from the network and restart your computer(s), then try and DCC again. Check up on your port settings and make sure the ones you have set in mIRC options are free on your computer:

ALT+O > Connect > Options > [Advanced]

As I think both your DCC receive and DCC send issues are being caused by the same source you might also like to read the Can't DCC Send thread for some suggestions. The Search feature may also prove useful. Use a concise search term such as "dcc receive" and expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

Best of luck smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81117 28/04/04 09:01 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Thanks for the info. I think my problem has to do with the port forwarding somehow. I don't know how to do any of it. I'm afraid to mess with it all...cause thats what got me here (I believe). I've read a few tips and instructions that would make sense to anyone who knows anything about ips/ports/routers/networking etc...unfortunately, I don't know what it all means, so I can't exactly follow the instrustions...lol.

By the way...you said to make sure the ports I have set in mIRC options are free on my computer...how do I do that?

P.S. I'm pretty sure that it's not the senders problem. The people I'm trying to recieve from just sent me stuff 2 days ago, and aren't having trouble with anyone but me. frown

Last edited by Blowitout; 28/04/04 09:02 PM.
#81118 28/04/04 09:12 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
To sort out port forwarding, read the manual smile

If you have a firewall it should have some sort of help file, look in the directory the firewall was installed for. If it's a hardware router than it should have come with a manual - you should also find help on the manufacturer's website, aswell as contact information to seek help from the professionals.

There isn't a place in mIRC or on your computer to tell you if your mIRC ports are set up correctly. You need to check the settings of any firewalls/routers you have (see above) and check which ports, if any, are forwarded. The same port "range" (the lowest and highest port number) needs to be set in DCC options.

So, if ports 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237 and 1238 were forwarded, the range is 1234-1238.

To access the mIRC DCC port settings, you need to press ALT+O go to Connect (press the '+' if the menu's not expanded) and go to Options under Connect. Then click on the Advanced button. Another way to say this is like I said in my last post:

ALT+O > Connect > Options > [Advanced]

In the end you should end up with this:

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81119 28/04/04 10:24 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
I don't know where the manual is frown

My problem now is...I'm not even sure if I have any ports being forwarded. Also, what would you suggest to be a good range to forward? See...I don't know about this stuff. Is there a site available with detailed explinations and instructions? Something for newbies and people who aren't already familiar with all this. Not that the instructions I'm being given are hard to understand, but I guess I need to know what port forwarding is before I even begin to understand how to configure it...ya know?

I've added 2 screenshots to show you what I'm working with here. I figured it was easier to show than to try and explain it. The first one is the winproxy advanced configuration, and the second one is the modem stuff (what I get when I type the ip into the address bar)...If you can help in letting me know if these should be filled out, it would be appreciated. I don't wanna mess anything up with my networking or internet connection. Also...would mapping/forwarding these ports put my computers at risk in any way? Such as people hacking/getting into my computer without permission?

Example1
Example2

#81120 28/04/04 10:39 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Eep, losing the manual's never a good idea! grin

I would contact your ISP, seemingly BellSouth, for further help with that service. I can't help you there myself with confidence, let the professionals play around with your Internet port settings. You might find this page useful. They may also be able to help you with WinProxy, however, you might try getting technical help with WinProxy using the contact details on this page.

Hope I've been of use smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#81121 28/04/04 11:36 PM
B
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
B
Hey there,

I've come to realize that the problem is definitely on my end and not the sender's end. I say this because when I try to recieve a file on the main computer (which isn't the one I use) it works fine. I'm pretty sure that all I have to do is some port mapping in winproxy or do something so that my computer can access whatever the main one does. I went to the winproxy site and looked at the user manual...it doesn't help me with what I need to know. I basically need to know how to fill out the port mapping info in that first example I had given you. Anyway, if you can't help with that, I'll attempt to get help elsewhere. Thanks for everything though, it was appreciated.

Link Copied to Clipboard