Hoopy frood
T
good idea.

New username: hixxy
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Indeed, that is very nice. However, I think the reason ALT+K displays the first number of colours is because they are the default control code colours...I'm not certain but it's all probably to be in compliance with some RFC.

Personally, I think this is a nice idea and would be easier for people to choose more "Advanced" colours, and if they want even more, the colour wheel is still there.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
trondrk Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
No, no. This is meant to be colors for all chatters to see.
You see; if I write in red all the readers will see I write in red, but this limits to the 16 colors only. I have expanded that option with my suggestion to be 54 colors. So what ever colors I write with from those 54 colors the readers will see that too.

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Why two threads in two days on the same subject? Annoying people won't make it happen. :tongue:

W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
As was already pointed out, it may not be possible do to restrictions already in place. However, if it's not a restriction, what about those who are using clients that can not be updated? How would they be able to view the extended colors?

I have a recommendation though, which I think everyone would love. For the viewers side only, dual color sets, and when colors are being used, the foreground set and the background set would be slightly different. Just enough so that, say, (ctrl-k)01,01 wouldn't produce black/on/black, but perhaps a very dark shade of grey on black, that way you don't have to highlight the line to read it. Would make peopels lives so much easier.
grin

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I expect we will see changes to mIRC's colors in the future.

If there are any changes, the first 16 color codes will probably remain the same, and every incriment of 16 will be the same hue but a different shade or darkness. Most IRC clients wrap color codes above 15 in incriments of 16, so this will help with compatability issues. That is... 0 and 1 and 14 and 15 are currently shades of black, so 16 and 17 and 30 and 31 would also be shades of black.

You may recall this suggestion from an earlier Colors thread.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
M
why go from 16 to 32 colors !?

all existing irc client are ony made for 16 colors transmitted over irc , so the next logical update would be to go all the way
in one step , go to RGB color codes...
why update clients from 16 colors to 32 if you can go to RGB in the time...

i dunno much about the basic IRC protocol, but IMO one big update makes more sense as several small ones...

W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
I know that many would disagree, but in many respects, IRC today is basically the same as it was 10+ years ago. Without plugins/addins, you cannot see pictures as part of the conversation. It's text only. And when I say pictures, I mean besides ASCII art. I think one of the popular factors of IRC is that it gives you raw power to chat, and sticks to text chatting, instead of going the way of becoming a graphical MUDD.

smile

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Basically because maybe the human eye is nowhere near sensitive enough for RGB. If memory serves, the human eye can effectively distinguish less than 100 colors (more if you put them next to each other). 32 colors is more than plenty, maybe 64, but anything more than that is pointless for this medium.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Here is why RGB codes are an incredibly bad idea for IRC (I realise the post is actually about hexadecimal but decimal RGB would have the same problems to a greater extent). There are currently 83 control codes unused with mIRC's current colour system, that's more than enough to create a decent blend of colours if it's really necessary at all.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My example wasn't one to stress a 32 color limit, but to show how the new color template would respect the current order of hues. I have no objections to 64 or even 100 colors. 0 through 99 would be the limit though, with 99 being a reserved color.

W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
Ignoring possible incompatibility with other clients, and just hitting on the reserved colors...

Why not make 69 a reserved code? or 13? heck, what about 50 since it's a midway point?

Not debating or anything, just tossing in a few other numbers.
grin

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
I am going to agree with the others about how specifically RGB shouldn't be used, but also how colors are rather arbitrary really. Raccoon has the most paletable idea from where I sit. I currently use a dark grey background with black text (it is really easy on my eyes) and I use the following color set:

I purposfully don't want to see the exact color that is specified, I want to see something that looks ok on my grey background. Going to 32 colors would be ok, as I could still change this a bit, but more than that, and you really just complicate things IMO

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Um. well..

0 through 99 would be a compatability limit, because mIRC and all clients check for a maximum of 2 digits after ^K.

99 is a reserved number because it has a special function already. It is used to reset to the default line color, like using ^K alone. Naturally, we would want to retain this functionality, and continue to reserve it.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
It would be possible to implement 8-bit or 16-bit colors just by using 1 or 2 consecutive chars instead of 2 numbers.

Of course, this would ruin any chance of backward compatibility (unless one started using another control code) and require the use of a color selection widget.

Besides, anyone using a non-compatible client and a multibyte encoding might see garbage where the color code should be.

Link Copied to Clipboard