Print Thread
#80551 25/04/04 08:29 AM
X
x64 Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
X
1. The usermode in the titlebar of the status window should include parameters (for example, servers that use a numeric oper level (+o <number>) should read the actual mode (e.g. "+wisko 90" instead of "+wisko")) or at least be able to read the USERMODES=<typea>,<typeb>,<typec>[,<typed>] protoctl token.

2. Perhaps keep a record of whether the user is opered up or not (381 on, 385 off (and/or -o in MODE)) ans keep track of that in $opered. The main reason would be that the
/channel dialog box should not have everything disabled if the user is opered up.

3. A way to add a custom (vanity) prefix in your local names list (not anything that has to do with the server), possibly in the address book with nick colors.. for example.. I might want to have all users on ignore have a "!" prefix in my nick list.

4. If a KILL message is received for someone other than yourself (some servers only send KILL messages when someone gets killed and not a QUIT) have it appear in all the channel windows that they are in.. rather than their nick silently disappearing from nick windows with a kill message in your status window.

5. an /echo flag to echo to all channels that a certain person is in (rather than enumerating through all the common channels).

6. Already mentioned, but a way to /rline channel and query windows.

7. rather than using "on HOTLINK" remote, possibly a way to embed the action in the text, for example, "<0x04>lusers:Click here to show the LUSERS report<0x04>", and clicking there would execute the command/alias 'lusers'. This type of context SHOULD be stripped from incoming channel/query messages (to prevent the obvious malicious "click here for free money" type of virus).

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Regarding suggestion 2, if you have +o (and I think +O, but I cannot confirm) in your usermode the checkboxes in the /channel dialog will not be 'locked'.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I'll only comment on the suggestions I actually have an opinion on :tongue:

Quote:

2. <> The main reason would be that the
/channel dialog box should not have everything disabled if the user is opered up.

Not all IRCds, including large popular ones, allow IRC Operators to change modes, topics etc etc - there is possibly always some sort of mode that does allow this, but the mode differs on different networks. I guess a $opered identifier could be useful for oper scripts.

Quote:

3. A way to add a custom (vanity) prefix in your local names list <> for example.. I might want to have all users on ignore have a "!" prefix in my nick list.

I thought this was set by the server? I think the concept is a good idea, and I would probably use it (at the moment I have ignores set to the colour red), perhaps a suffix would be more appropriate? I think a prefix may cause confusion if someone accidentally plays with it and then finds a nickname like @!nickname, might trick them into thinking you can have the '!' in your nickname. Then again, so might @nickname! - Perhaps a colour for mIRC's vanity prefix/suffix?

Quote:

4. If a KILL message is received for someone other than yourself (some servers only send KILL messages when someone gets killed and not a QUIT) have it appear in all the channel windows that they are in.. rather than their nick silently disappearing from nick windows with a kill message in your status window.

Perhaps it's just me, but shouldn't the server be compliant with most IRC clients? Especially mIRC as it is the biggest. I by no means think everything should be made to cater for mIRC, it should never reach the stage where mIRC is the dominant "entity" over all IRC, there are other non-mIRC users to think of, but does any client show a message when a QUIT is not received?
Every server I've ever been on, has sent a kind of Quit message to the main window when a /kill or gline/kline/etc. is executed. If you ask me, the IRCd needs sorting out if it is not doing that.
If there are a number of other client that support this however, perhaps mIRC should keep up with them. I think it's borderline ridiculous though (not the suggestion, the reason for it).

Quote:

7. <> This type of context SHOULD be stripped from incoming channel/query messages (to prevent the obvious malicious "click here for free money" type of virus).

I dunno if I understand you here - If it's stripped from both incoming channels and query messages, how is the affect supposed to reach another user? Or isn't it, and it's meant for personal use?

Thanks for taking the time to post yer ideas smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Perhaps a colour for mIRC's vanity prefix/suffix?

OMG I can see it now, the rainbow color combos per user and the funky /cline scripts that change the colors lol Seriously tho, I dont know if I could get used to that but hey, jsut cause it's there (if it gets in) dont mean I gotta use it so sure, why not? smile Color the @+! etc different colors smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well, I only meant the colours for the possible introduction of the suffix/prefix for when someone is put on ignore etc. The normal @ + % etc is already coloured when a nickname is coloured in. And the funky /cline scripts already exist :tongue:

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
oh I know smile It would take a lot of getting used to (for me) tho. I wasnt knocking the idea, jsut throwing some well humored sarcasm around smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
X
x64 Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
X
Quote:
Perhaps it's just me, but shouldn't the server be compliant with most IRC clients?

Most servers send a QUIT message when a user gets killed (along the lines of ":nick!user@host QUIT :Killed (Oper_nick (reason))"), but some servers (mostly IRCX and IRC2 servers), will instead send the more-appropriate KILL message (e.g. ":oper_nick!user@host KILL victim_nick :reason"). mIRC recognizes it and removes the user from nick lists like it should, but it displays the "*** victim_nick killed by oper_nick (reason)" message in the status window and not where its visible.

And in reguards to suggestion 5.. it is only meant to be used locally so that scripts can insert context sensitive links inline, such as maybe: "*** Kicked from #channel by op_nick (reason) ... (REJOIN) (VIEW BAN LIST) (CLOSE WINDOW)" and the user can simply click. Almost like on (forgive the reference to IM, but this is the best example) MSN Messenger, when it asks if you want to accept a file or whatever, and the options are actually inline links.

I know you can do this with HOTLINK, but its inefficent since you have to script in almost every instance, and you have to check the context of the line it is in to see what the event should do.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Some great suggestions here. I know I've been pusing for #5 "/echo" and #6 "/rline" for some time now. And #4 "Killed", if mIRC isn't displaying anything in the channel, I would regard this as a bug rather than a feature. That does sound like something the server is doing incorrectly, but, if mIRC is removing the nick from the nicklist, then it obviously recognizes this type of event and should display something in the channel buffer.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard