Print Thread
#80280 23/04/04 06:52 AM
N
naki Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
I was thinking about maybe in the future, if you have "rejoin channel when kicked" checked under options that when you get kicked from a channel, you dont get sent to the window you got kicked from but instead just stay in the active window. I know many times when I get kicked from a channel it zooms over to that window when I am typing something.

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)
#80281 23/04/04 02:20 PM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Personally, I'd like to see "rejoin channel when clicked" removed from mIRC completely. shocked

Why? Because it encourages a poorer atmosphere on IRC.

A channel op kicks someone for being annoying, misbehaving, spamming or whatever... and *presto* they're back instantly. So what happens? Next time, the channel op just bans a problem user. Result: ops become less tolerant, contributing to the further decline of the helpful attitude that (a long time ago) dominated on IRC.

Just a personal opinion. grin

</rant>

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#80282 23/04/04 03:04 PM
Z
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Z
If i understood right, you want the window of the channel you were kicked to stay opened and active, isnt it? If so, there's already one.

Go to Options>IRC and check the Keep channels open check box.

Hope i understood right smile

"All we are saying is give peace a chance" -- John Lennon
#80283 23/04/04 04:24 PM
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
I think what they want is that if you are in 2 channels, #KickMe and #TalkingHere, that if you get kicked from #KickMe, and either mIRC or a script rejoins you into the room, that if you are in #TalkingHere, you active window won't change to #KickMe upon rejoining.

Personally, I think the overall idea of not have rooms being joined taking control is a good idea because I may be chatting and then another connection is reset and then when I am being rejoined into the rooms, they flip my screen around and I have to wait for it to finish before I can go back to the room I was talking in to finish what I was saying.

Maybe 2 options like:
"Room become active window on join" (and as an add on option to it) - "only on creation"
Then if it's not checked, it never takes over the screen when you join it, just in case you don't want that, or if you do but only when a room is created (like when connecting to another network) its all up to you smile

#80284 23/04/04 04:34 PM
Z
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Z
Oic now.. smile Yes, that's not a bad idea smile

You can do that manually by using the -n switch in the /join #channelname command.

"All we are saying is give peace a chance" -- John Lennon
#80285 23/04/04 04:56 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
That doesn't really make sense. If a user is a problem then he almost certainly will come back unless banned. If the op didn't want that person to come back then they should've banned him in the first place. I don't see how banning someone comes off as less tolerant than kicking them.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#80286 23/04/04 05:08 PM
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
That's just someones opinion. I agree that if the op doesn't want someone to return then they'll add a ban with that kick, or just ban (but not kick) and let that person sit there, unable to talk (we use that method, calling it a 'mute', and sometimes it proves to be more effective than kicking someone). But an automatic rejoin is useful if someone manages to get opped up and then kicks everyone out before they get booted out themselves (and obviously not opped up again in that room).

laugh

#80287 23/04/04 05:12 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree with you, it's pretty pointless kicking someone if they can rejoin in the blink of an eye - without some manual intervention the user usually learns nothing from their mistakes. I know of one server that does block auto-rejoin if the founder dials it in and there's possibly others too. It's a great function.

#80288 23/04/04 05:38 PM
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
on the ConferenceRoom networks, and I'm still learning the details of it, if you're not OP'd (or maybe even voiced), then if you get kicked or /hop the room, it doesn't let you rejoin for 5 seconds. I've noticed at times where it still lets someone rejoin instantly, but it's not that common if they weren't op'd.

Something I think I forgot to say earlier is that I personally think the auto-rejoin option is a bad idea because it can be used to flood someone off of the server. Kick someone out of 10 rooms, they rejoin those 10 rooms, send the /names #roomname (mirc does it automatically anyway), repeat and they're flooded off within a matter of seconds.

There are some options that I wish could be altered rather than just turned off. Take, for example, the rejoin room when kicked function, if there was an options area that would list "scripts" for the functions, per say, and allow you to use your own code in place of the default method.

Like, under tools, "Internal Command Scripts" as an example, and for the "Rejoin channel when kicked" option, have a default script that can be viewed, probably looking like this:
ON *:KICK:#:if $knick == $me .join #

And then a bigger box underneath with the option to use it instead of the default coding, so you could design your own rejoin script, or perhaps a more simple idea would be to check a box and then you could tell it an alias to perform (along with $1- or other identifiers of your choice) instead of the default. smile

That way if you design a more complex but also more reliable room rejoiner script (like I have) then you can turn it on/off in the mIRC options menu, instead of the option just sitting there taking up space.

Ok maybe now I'm just babbling so I'll shut up.
grin

#80289 24/04/04 12:52 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Something I think I forgot to say earlier is that I personally think the auto-rejoin option is a bad idea because it can be used to flood someone off of the server. Kick someone out of 10 rooms, they rejoin those 10 rooms, send the /names #roomname (mirc does it automatically anyway), repeat and they're flooded off within a matter of seconds.

We use CR though there's another function too, which other servers may have (not sure) where you can also limit the number of consecutive rooms someone can be in. It's this function that we utilise to stop people getting flooded off, though a poorly written script still usually manages to cop a kill now and then. CR's "REJOINTRACK" is mainly for stopping warbots doing join floods, as you said, though it's good for nailing the autorejoins too. With autorejoin there are times when the user misses the actual event of being kicked, especially if the room is moving quickly.

You mentioned that it's possible to script around it, well it is, though in our case the REJOINTRACK is globally set at 5 seconds but can then be altered by room founders to their liking (anywhere between 2 seconds and a reasonably infinite number). I'm not sure what Webnet does though. As such if someone was to write or release a script for this they'd have to make it fairly configurable as different rooms would possibly have different settings, assuming they even know it's possible to change it. I doubt many room owners know that CR now has room property functions as unless one reads the manual or is an oper there's no real way of finding out.

And yes, @ is immune from the restriction which is good because it stops unopered bots from trying to let themselves back in after being kicked or banned.

#80290 24/04/04 06:31 AM
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
WebNet, from what I've experienced.. sadly.. is globally set to 5 seconds from part/kick to rejoining the room unless (a) the room becomes vacant, (b) you were opped, (c) you have aop/sop and /cs invite # yourself to the room or (d) you slip through one of the many holes that lets you get back in despite the restriction that SHOULD be there.

I'm still tweaking a rejoiner script to be less prone to flooding.. Although it is extremely persistant to staying in a room. smile Useful for those mkicks.

But when I was talking about an alternative to the default, I was meaning more like an advanced options menu where functions like rejoining rooms, etc, could be flagged as "Default internal script" unless you uncheck it then have an option to trigger a script by name so that you can use the main options menu to turn on/off a script function you designed or downloaded. smile

#80291 24/04/04 08:40 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Due to my own personal use of mIRC I wouldn't like it to go - the only times I'm kicked is by friends who are joking around, and to have to keep typing the join command would get tedious and bore me til I get annoyed!

I can completely see why people disagree with it though, I know some channels have scripts that auto-ban people who rejoin straight after a kick, telling them to disable auto-rejoin when kicked.
However, as has been said, you could always use -ku10 or something with the /ban command if you don't want the person to rejoin instantly, but don't mind if they come back pretty soon. On the other hand, it still, in a sense, defeats the technical point of a kick in the first place.

One of thise "Six of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of arguments I'm afraid, just depends on your stand point.

I agree with the original suggestion by the way :-)

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#80292 25/04/04 08:06 AM
X
x64 Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
Quote:
they rejoin those 10 rooms, send the /names #roomname (mirc does it automatically anyway),

No. It doesn't.

In fact when you join a channel, mIRC assumes that you are the only one in the channel, unopped, until the SERVER sends the corresponding 353/366's.

#80293 05/05/04 08:35 AM
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
You could just ban the user as well if you don't want them in there. It's a very useful feature and has many uses other than "encourages a poorer atmosphere on IRC".

Your definition of a "poorer atmosphere on IRC" would differ greatly from mine, and mine would differ from the next guy. But in the end you can disable it, you have the power to stop a user from auto-rejoining, and you can let others use a feature that they've used for many years.

You won't like it when I get angry.
#80294 24/05/04 09:01 AM
R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
i think rejoin on kick should be removed too.. what is the use of kick for?? the user will return instantly like nothing happened..

#80295 24/05/04 07:11 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I agree with that. Let's get rid of the "rejoin on kick" option and instead of having kick and ban as two separate commands, just combine them to one command. If you think about it, alot of the time when a kick is being used, it usually means that they aren't welcome (depending on the channel and circumstances). A ban is used when someone irritates others or have disobeyed the rules, which also means they aren't welcome. (Again depending on the channel and circumstances). But having a rejoin option doesn't really enforce the rules to a particular channel really...not unless a ban has been placed. and yes I know no ban is ever permanent as there are ways around them.

Link Copied to Clipboard