#80072 21/04/04 09:11 AM
A
Alex2 Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Hello.

I've a feature wish for mIRC on the next version, and that is about the Away System. Would it be possible to implent a Away System who could be showin up in channel eg; every 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes interval, and with a Pager and Log?

Regards
Alex2

Alex2
#80073 21/04/04 09:24 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This is already widely accepted as a 'scripted' feature, hence why there are dozens if not hundreds of away system addons out there on the World Wide Web.

In a sense, simply through mIRC commands you can send a message every 5 minutes etc etc, without much scripting needed simply by using the /timer command:

/timer 0 300 ame is away: $awayreason

* Mentality is away: Eating would be the result (where 'Mentality' would be your nickname obviously). /ame is a command that sends an action to all channels that you're on. It would send the message every 300 seconds (5 minutes).

I think a fully blown away system within mIRC is not necessary - many channels don't even allow them with the argument that "we don't care if you're away, or why". It would only be encouraging this and get people in trouble!

Maybe it's just me, but incorporating this would just seem to be making mIRC into some sort of script rather than an IRC client *shrugs* - Perhaps a simple /ame when you set yourself away could be an option...I believe the Macintosh IRC client ircle has one such feature.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#80074 21/04/04 09:29 AM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
Hi Alex2,

This is a feature of many a script out there, and for me personally I hate those lame messages that pop up in channel especially every 15 mins.

Nick is away -(making coffee)- 6:15 -(pager: on)- -(log:on)- etc etc etc. It's amazingly annoying for me personally.

Having said that, it is amazingly easy to script something like that, but having it as a built in feature maybe useful to some, but I would suggest it only announce in channel once and change your nick to Alex2Away or something.

Just my opinion!
As I say it is easy to script this so it may not be added!

Regards,
Diz

*Edit: Wow Mentality, your fast! lol *

Last edited by Dizkonnekted; 21/04/04 09:31 AM.

Dizkonnekted from reality....!
#80075 21/04/04 12:44 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree re: the annoying aspect of the function. Why can't people just change their name to Blah-Away?

#80076 21/04/04 11:56 PM
W
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
W
I, too, think that away message systems CAN be annoying. But that's more of the user than the away system itself.

For example, I have an away system installed that I will use occassionally, but if it repeats my away in the rooms, it's hours apart and not so often that in a 'dead' room, you have a screen full of away's after only a few hours.

And I tend to not change my nick either - because that way, people never know if I'm watching or not, and a room that I watch requires strict rule enforcement. teehee
grin

Link Copied to Clipboard