mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Strange problem: I can download 1 file via DCC but afterwards mIRC hangs up. I have to disconnect form my IRC server, reconnect and go back to my channel. At this stage I can again download 1 file via DCC etc...

I'm behind a netgear firewall/router (WRG 614), port forwarding is set to the server I use for IRC, ports open form 1 to 10000

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

Could not reproduce (mIRC 6.14, Win2000 SP4, NAT router)
Try disabling any firewall (Win XP's, software, etc...) or any real-time scanning antivirus.
BTW: no need to open any port to DCC Get, it's only used to send files from your computer.

R
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Thanks for the advice. I tried on another computer with WIN 2000 and it works just fine so it seams to be a WIN XP problem

M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
Got the same problem!
It has nothing to do with the firewall/router. My computer is under XP.
I have another computer under XP behind the same firewall and it works perfectly. Same configuration.
I think it has something to do with other programs installed on the computer. maybe some DLL files...???
But I confirmed, after the first DCC GET (the file is correctly received), it seems it is disconnected, no more messages received and then need to reconnect to the server in order to get connection back. Please HELP!

Last edited by Mav90; 25/05/04 10:26 PM.
M
M
I found the ultimate solution nobody yet found.
In fact, I had this problem and tried with several IRC clients. None worked. So probably it was a XP problem.
And definitely it was.

So it's a Winsock problem. Save your IP configuration for Internet. Then you will need to repair/reset Winsock configuration.

To perform this, download Winsock XP Fix 1.2 (at http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-161.shtml)

Run it. Then you will reboot your computer. Configure your IP properties (since it's been cleaned) and the problem should be gone!!!!

Mav90

P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
Mav90 I want to thank you for sorting out my problem too - after satisfactory operation for a couple of years, I found that using dcc caused disconnect off the mirc channel, effectively locking me out of irc. Also MSN Messenger would no longer connect. So I took your advice and downloaded the winsock fix you mention above and after reboot, lo and behold, both worked again. So I think you've cracked a key issue. And I'd searched all over the internet for advice. Most people were suggesting possible problems with XP firewall or with dcc settings on mirc. I'd reloaded mirc and msn as well. As you say, I think it's an adware cleaner that I use that messed up the settings and stopped dcc and msn. Many many thanks - I really hope that someone in the know will ensure that your link is broadcast over a wider forum, because I bet this is causing many other people problems too and winsock fix may well sort it out.

regards
Paul

P
P
Full solution has been posted to my website:

http://dly.free.fr/site/article.php3?id_article=1

Link Copied to Clipboard