mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79444 19/04/04 06:26 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There's a slight problem with your suggestion and that is that freedom of speech then becomes a big problem. Yes there are alot of debates here but I, for one, don't have a problem with that and don't have a problem with people disagreeing with my, or another, point of view providing there is some practicality to the opposing point of view, instead of the childish "this sucks" attitude that is rampant on many other forums, and that there is a degree of mutual respect for those one is talking to. To ban debates is to ban the discussion of ideas and allowing people to put forward that there is sometimes two or more right ways of doing things.

On that note I think it is a credit to 99% of those that use this place that despite not always agreeing there are hardly any times that personal diatribe takes over from whatever is being discussed. If someone has a problem with that achievement then they need a reality check. In addition, I believe that what you determine as useful is irrelevant. You arn't a contributor yet you receive this digest you speak of. I am not aware that this is a service offer by and guaranteed by Khaled. Am I wrong?

#79445 19/04/04 04:32 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
In a sense the "digest" is provided by Khaled, or at least it is a Forum feature in that you can go to a forum page and click 'Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this Forum' (or subscribe through the 'My Home' area). Once subscribed you get a daily email with a list of posts, and their contents, in your email.

Quote:

On that note I think it is a credit to 99% of those that use this place that despite not always agreeing there are hardly any times that personal diatribe takes over from whatever is being discussed.

Here here smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#79446 19/04/04 07:03 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It would be unrealistic to expect that everyone has the same viewpoint, and in many cases there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Healthy discussion is great, and can be helpful in many ways. I'm glad to say that for the most part that discussion is done with courtesy. On the rare occasion someone seems unable to disagree without name calling or insults, it is explained to them that rudeness isnt appropriate or tolerated.

Pointing out what is/isnt allowed or helped with on this forum, explaining differences in terminology, suggesting better ways or places to get help are all part of discussion. Misunderstandings when talking face to face happen, when typing its even more so, especially when you take into consideration the variety of languages, cultures and communication styles.

"more of problem/solution type information" "more arguing back and forth than useful information"
sorry, but i dont get those comments at all. The vast majority of questions asked are replied to with solutions or suggestions to try (not all problems have an easy answer). Some subjects have to be expected to involve discussion.

"there is no way to simply "ignore threads by ____" when getting emails"
What is it you want to "ignore by"? poster? subject? how do you want to define what you want to read? (of course what features UBB includes in their software is up to them, not us) None of us know when we open a thread whats going to be there. It looks easy enough to change your settings to not get email archive of forums more inclined to discusssion, like developer, features, or scripting.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#79447 20/04/04 06:54 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Once subscribed you get a daily email with a list of posts, and their contents, in your email.

I consider myself corrected. grin

#79448 23/04/04 07:09 PM
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
Amen!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard