Print Thread
#79191 14/04/04 06:46 AM
S
Strider Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
...if Khaled could travel to the past, he would prevent himself from adding fserve capabilities to mIRC?

I mean, I've noticed that each year, mIRC becomes more infamous thanks to the warez/illegal material providing fserves that exist in a lot of IRC networks.

People now see mIRC as a P2P program, and think that it's so great because you can download a lot of illegal stuff. I am almost sure that this really bothers the people here who use mIRC to chat, because that's not the fame we want for such a great client like mIRC, and such a great protocol like IRC.

#79192 14/04/04 07:12 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't care what people do in their own backyard though one thing does bother me and that is when the actions of a few spoil it for the law-abiding majority.

#79193 14/04/04 04:48 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I can't really speak for Khaled, although I don't think he would have excluded the FServe. It did benefit quite a few people at first and still does today (legitimately).

That said, it has been a huge contributor (if not the core contributor) to gaining mIRC's/IRC's reputation as a file serving client/protocol. Many people have, in different ways, bared the brunt of this misinterpretation, including the helpers here who are constantly bombarded with "How do I get off this XDCC bot?" and "How do I get movies with mIRC?" etc. The same replies have to be churned out every time, to inform this new person what mIRC is not a file serving client.

I must say though, I am very unfamiliar with FServe/XDCC scripts & bots etc. Do they even use the mIRC FServe? Or do they have some scripted "virtual" FServe?

Either way, for *my* personal use of mIRC, I'd be quite happy for Khaled to rid mIRC of the FServe, as I have never used it, and most likely never will. Thinking of the people who have a great use for it though, I wouldn't like to see it leave, I can imagine the disappointment for those people. I doubt it would even curb file serving that much, let's say "6.15" removed the FServe. People would just continue using 6.14 and FServe/XDCC scripts would still use that, or some other workaround would be made up. It's gone too far for Khaled, or any other single person, to be able to put a stop to it.

The only way I see it stopping is either if all networks (ALL) decide to ban mass/illegal file trading, or if the RIAA (or similar organisation) do really crack down on IRC file trading. There has been some activity in the past year, but given the vastness of IRC, not even a dent has been inflicted to the file trading communities. Their actions have probably gone unnoticed by 90% of people who use IRC for file trading. IRC Networks are not going to stop it either. It's a good way to get users up which is, apparently, ever so important. Small networks that support file trading channels can get 400 users in the first few months of their lives. Mind you, I say "users" it's more like 100 users 259 XDCC bots and then 41 IRCops (ever notice how small IRC networks always have far too many opers? Probably how they bribe channels from other networks to join their network!)

But yes, had I been back in the time of the introduction of the FServe, and if I had known about the intentions of Khaled incorporating one into mIRC...I may have ran down to London with one of those big rubber hammers and bopped him on the head!

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard