Print Thread
#786 10/12/02 02:08 AM
J
Jubei Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
J
The subject says it all really. If there is one app I miss from running windows, its mIRC. mIRC is the only reason I have Windows on my laptop.

Please help me correct this smile I will happily help with bug testing etc and I know of MANY people itching to switch to linux and the only thing holding them back is the lack of a client as good as mIRC.

Some good revenue generating here I believe.

#787 10/12/02 02:17 AM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
Revenue generating?
When was the last time you paid for a linux app.? If ever, you got ripped off smile

Regards,

-DarkStarX
"If at first you don't succeed, sky diving's not for you."
#788 10/12/02 02:28 AM
J
Jubei Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin.

And no I wasn't. Being a Linux user doesn't "entitle" you to free software...there just happens to be more of it because its easier to write due to open source.

I am not averse to paying for a good app. If Mr Mardam-Bey chose to make one and release it for free, cool (tho I reckon his Windows user base wouldn't be happy with that, although it might encourage more Linux users laugh ) but if not, I wouldn't mind paying for it, provided it wasn't extortionate.

#789 10/12/02 02:44 AM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
How does open source makes writing applicatiosn easier?
It has been said that there will be no linux version of mIRC...so I dunno why people keep asking for it.

If you need a good linux client, use BitchX, it's great! If you're one of those Xwindows people, XChat is very good too, and has a scripting syntax like mIRC's.

mIRC isn't the only option. It's just the best.
On Linux, you don't have that option. No use begging.

Regards,

-DarkStarX
#790 10/12/02 02:54 AM
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
I couldn't recommend BitchX to anyone, quite frankly. But that's just my two cents (and I'm short on change today).

#791 10/12/02 02:58 AM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
What's wrong with BitchX? It's simple, easy, and great in a shell window LOL. Supports themes...full colour support...LOTS of customizability...etc.

Regards,

-DarkStarX
#792 10/12/02 03:56 AM
J
Jubei Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Open source makes writing apps easier because if you have the source code for the OS/window manager you are writing for, its a hell of a lot easier to make your app talk to it, because you know EXACTLY how it works.

BitchX is fine, if you like using a shell. I personally prefer MDI interfaces.

I was under the impression XChat used perl for the scripting?

#793 10/12/02 11:02 PM
V
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
V
Let's open an account at paypal and donate some bucks and they'll change their mind for shure and create a linux vers. smile

#794 10/12/02 11:31 PM
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
I've run mIRC 6.01 under Red Hat Linux 7.0 "almost" successfuly using a Windows emulator (I think it was WINE) mIRC works fine but the mIRC editor (to edit aliases, remotes, etc) doesn't work properly and will sometimes delete the end of the long lines. If you try it be sure to have everything backed up.

#795 19/12/02 04:53 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
There will be not Linux version. Why?

I didn't see the source, but mIRC is probably using Windows API calls directly. If Khaled used a library that made it so that mIRC would have been portable, mIRC would already been ported (whould have been made with very few changes).

Porting mIRC means re-writting it all from scratch.

There are alternatives on other operationg systems. If you are not happy, you could write your own portable IRC client smile

What? You won't switch from Windows to Linux just because you don't have mIRC on Linux? Tell me, why do you want to switch to Linux then??

Last edited by tom420; 19/12/02 04:54 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard