Print Thread
#78960 12/04/04 01:51 AM
H
Hjorten Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Today I started noticing that the script editor took more time than usual to start, it's a matter of maybe 5 to 10 seconds, and usually it took 1 or 2 seconds, maybe less.

I was, before my reboot recently, using 6.03 and didn't used to have any problems with it. Then I upgraded to 6.14 and starting it was slower than usual too, and it was still slow when I tried to open the script editor.

My bot, running 6.12, doesn't act as slow in any of the cases. I'm about to go to bed and I will run an online antivirus scan and search for trojans and such with TDS-3, might even try AdAware...

Could this be caused by mIRC? I never visit any links that people paste, unless I know what I'm about to visit, I've got all recent updates for XP PRO (Swedish).

H
Hjorten Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
I've now scanned my computer with TrendMicro's online scanner, TDS-3 and AdAware and nothing special was found. This makes me think that mIRC itself is "guilty".

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I use mIRC 6.14 and it takes me about 1-2 seconds to open the script editor and the options (same with closing them). (XP Pro/~1Ghz).

Make sure you are not running any resource-eating applications, check for ones that might be running in the background with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I guess you could be using some sort of script that's eating resources too - install a fresh mIRC to a clean directory and run it with no scripts, see if it opens equally as slow with that mIRC.

I would say the computer lays with your computer rather than mIRC itself - actual mIRC bugs tend to affect ALL versions of that mIRC for all people, or it can depend upon the OS. What OS are you using?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
H
Hjorten Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
I'm using XP PRO, as I wrote in my first post. And I haven't added any scripts in a very long time, I only use the ones I write myself. My bot has more remotes loaded than I do and there the script editor is opened as fast as it should.

I don't have any unknown processes running cause I keep track of them. But I might try to defrag my drives and see if it helps, if it doesn't, I have no idea what it could be.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Oh yeah, sorry, missed the OS bit smile

If your bot runs on a separate client (which i assume it does) have you tried closing that client and then restarting your normal mIRC on its own, see if that helps? Perhaps a reboot, and then running only your clean mIRC client and testing it before opening the bot's client.

G'luck with it, might try Disk Cleanup too.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
H
Hjorten Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
My bot works perfectly, the script editor shows directly after I press alt+r, I just don't understand why my ordinary client has started to lag recently, it's no fun making scripts when it takes more than 10 seconds to open/close the script editor.

But I'm gonna defrag my drives tonight and see if that helps, which would amaze me. Might even try installing a fresh client.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
i found when my alias.ini file had a large script in it that the remotes editor took a while to load, moving the script from the ini file into the format alias somealias { as a remote script seemed to fix it

billythekid
H
Hjorten Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
H
Thanks billy, I'll try that.
I'll keep you posted if it works or not.

EDIT:

Ok, I removed lots of aliases I didn't need, and it's still slow. The thing is that I haven't added any aliases in a long time.

I mean, this whole thing is really confusing, I have no idea why it just started to go slow on me.

Last edited by Hjorten; 14/04/04 01:34 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard