Print Thread
F
flyppi Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
Hello.

My mIRC freezes when a DCC larger than 300MB (more or less) either finishes or fails. When the freeze occurs, it makes my entire pc go super slow. This freeze occurs for about 30-60 seconds, and when it un-freezes, everything goes back to normal, except that all of the servers I'm connected to on IRC get disconnected (oddly enough, my internet doesn't get disconnected, only the IRC servers). The freeze happens no matter what the filetype is, and doens't ever happen when people send me files that are less than around 300MB in size.

I'm currently running mIRC 6.14. When I used to run 6.12, the freeze didn't happen, and it started happening on 6.14. Then I tried a clean install of both versions, and now the freeze occurs on both. (I used to copy my ini files and all that from previous versions whenever I would format and all that junk, so I believe that's why the freeze didn't happen the first time I had used 6.12. With the clean install though, it happens.)

I'm on XP Pro SP1 with all of the latest updates.

Last edited by flyppi; 08/04/04 08:56 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
are you using any of those patches that are supposed to speed up d/l? any scripts/addons that involve dcc/filesharing?
there was one script that ppl were reporting as causing that prob with large files, but atm i cant recall the name of it.

from what you describe, i'd guess your disconnect error is 10053, software causes abort? check out this thread for things to try

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
F
flyppi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
No, I'm not using any patches or anything like that that "speed up download", and I'm also not using any scripts that have to do with dcc or filesharing.

About the disconnect at the end of the freeze, I'm not sure if its the 10053 error, I'll check it the next time it occurs. I think i've had that error happen without the freeze, but only on quakenet, but its very rare and it hasn't happened in quite a while.

F
flyppi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
it is the 10053 error "software caused connection abort"

bump

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
did you check out the 10053 sticky thread i posted? simply bumping your post without saying if you did or what you tried in that thread doesnt help us help you confused

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
F
flyppi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yeah, I tried the things in the thread that you posted, sorry for not saying so. It hasn't helped, so I don't really know what to do shocked

F
flyppi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
so far I haven't found anything that's able to fix it. I was thinking of reverting to an older version I didnt have this problem with (6.03) but, would that be safe? I'm not sure if any security exploits were in that version or anythinng like that.

F
flyppi Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Well, I reverted back to mIRC 6.02 (I know, it has some security exploits) and the problem is gone.

I won't be using 6.02 anymore though, it was just to test. Any ideas on what I can do, so DCC on 6.14 will work properly?

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway, and also ask that you email me the answer at theflyest@hotmail.com so as not to ad. Are there any other IRC clients that have similar functions to mIRC? Mainly all I need is logging, dcc, and multi-network support. The rest is a bonus. Remember, please email me at theflyest@hotmail.com if you have any clients that would have this.

Link Copied to Clipboard