mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#77329 31/03/04 08:50 AM
P
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
P
I think it would be awesome if mIRC had a TABbed interface. Opening different networks in their own TABs would be much nicer and one wouldn't have to open 2 mIRCs if each network had 40 channels open. Does anyone agree ?

#77330 31/03/04 08:52 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
yes, but it should be an option and disabled by default.
i hate tabs :tongue:, but it could be useful for other people.

New username: hixxy
#77331 31/03/04 09:41 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Agree.

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#77332 31/03/04 10:31 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Isn't this what maximizing the windows and using the already existing switchbar does?

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#77333 31/03/04 10:47 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I always refer to the switchbar buttons as "window tabs" anyway. Sorry to say I don't understand how anyone can chat in 80 channels.

If your Fileserving in 80 channels, Or doing some other bot like activity, I suggest you run a seperate copy especially for that, And just use a seperate mIRC for actually chatting.

You can't expect mIRC to change it's interface for you bot/drone type people. It's perfectly fine for people like me who chat on a few a channels across multiple networks.

#77334 31/03/04 12:57 PM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I think the suggestion is to use a tab for each network, then have the switchbar IN THAT TAB with just the channels for that network.

Which I think is what Bitch-X does?

I rarely have more than a couple of channels on each network open (and I don't use mIRC for mass file transfer, warez, mp3z etc. etc.), but a tabbed interface would nevertheless be a lot "cleaner".

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#77335 31/03/04 04:48 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I agree that tabs would be nice and as it has been pointed out, networks chould be tabbed while maintaing channel buttons in the mirc taskbar. I like this idea. Having tabs by default being off would be nice for those who dont like the idea of tabs

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#77336 31/03/04 06:42 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Although I can see how some might find this useful, I don't see why anyone would want or need to be in 40 channels..I mean I feel I join quite a few channels and at max I'm only in 12-13, plus 3 network tabs.

saxon said:
"If your Fileserving in 80 channels, Or doing some other bot like activity, I suggest you run a seperate copy especially for that, And just use a seperate mIRC for actually chatting."

Better yet, don't do it at all and use a separate program altogether if you're that adamant on doing so smile

I'm fairly neutral on this suggestion provided that there is an option to disable it and provided it's not default.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77337 02/04/04 08:21 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
At current count, I have 34 windows open (including status windows.. no exaggeration). Some are channels, some are queries, a couple are completed dcc's that I just havnt closed yet. The point is, there are an aweful lot, and never more than 10 per server. If mirc could only display the switchbar buttons for the CURRENT server, and then list the other servers after it, that would be awesome.

Agreed, off by default.

#77338 02/04/04 08:32 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Still, 34 is a lot less than 80, and I doubt all of the windows are actively chatting.

Anyway, as I said, I have nothing against the suggestion, I just wouldn't want it myself and I don't believe that 51% of mIRC users would either. As I said before, provided it's not default and provided there's an option to enable/disable it, I'm fine with it myself :-) *leaves it to Khaled*

My 3 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77339 02/04/04 09:56 PM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Quote:

Still, 34 is a lot less than 80, and I doubt all of the windows are actively chatting.

so I should close all windows that are not constantly active? Who cares if they are active or not.. I obviously have them open for a reason, even if that reason is "I just dont feel like closing it because there is some url in the buffer I liked" or something equally asinine.

Quote:

I just wouldn't want it myself and I don't believe that 51% of mIRC users would either.

What percentage use multiserver at all? I would imagine less than 51%. But out of those who DO use multiserver, how many would like some better organization? I would guess quite a few.

I am not going to beat a dead horse, you already said you would go along with the idea.

#77340 02/04/04 10:25 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
After a chat online, I just wanted to clarify something...

I am not denouncing this feature *at all*, I'm all for it, but as far as my opinion goes I would not personally use it. As several others don't just agree with it, they actually *want* it however, it's all good :-)

Also, it's been said that I (and others) carry more weight on the board due to the number of posts we have. Remember that whether or not a helper of the boards has 10 posts or 3,000, if Khaled wishes to include a feature in mIRC he will - whether a heavy poster agrees with it or not. True to say he will take other visitors posts into account, but I highly doubt the persons post count weights his decision - everyone's opinion is valid and their opinion is not (or shouldn't be) less valid than the next person.
From a personal point of view, I post my opinion on a feature when I have one - sometimes I don't because it simply doesn't effect me, or in some cases, I don't even understand it! I don't think for a nano second my post carries weight with the suggester or Khaled. Apologies if I have undermined (or intimidated?) anyone with any of my posts in this thread or others.

Hope this clears anyone else's views of my other posts up! smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#77341 02/04/04 10:52 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
general reply:

There's also something else that's important too. Take me for example, while I dont have as many posts as others do but have more than a lot of people, I only comment on suggestions that I like (even if I wouldnt use - as some of my posts CLAERLY state) or those that I feel could be flushed out more. I dont bash anybody's ideas as through this message board WE ALL benefit from additions/subtractions. Sometimes it just takes longer to recognize an addition or subtraction for what it is and why it was done. I dont pretend to know what Khaled thinks, knows, or does, but that doesnt mean Im going to like everything he does to mirc OR what everybody here suggests.

It's important to keep in mind (FOR ALL PEOPLE) that the people who make suggestions want something and feel the need to speak up. Some things have been mentioned a bazillion times before and get mentioned again from time to time.

Root - you bring up a VALID point that not everybody wanted, needed or used/uses multiserver, but it was added. I dont use it but see the need for it and am glad I have the option to use it.

general comment - I think the idea of having (as said many times before on many suggestions) being able to switch styles back and forth with a "use tabbed chatting" type of method where we can select exactly how we want it. I personally think that if tabbed chatting was around on mirc, I might even use multiserver as it's easier for ME to keep track of (just like I use Firefox & EditPad for the same reason)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#77342 03/04/04 02:24 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
General reply:

Alt-Leftclick on any status window will hide all the buttons on the switchbar for that "connection tab" at once; so, keeping just the "tabs" open that you currently wish to see will work as you have suggested, especially if you have your switchbar on the left or right rather than on top.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#77343 06/04/04 02:19 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Oh my...

Never knew that...wonderful, thx for the info Hammer.

Grtz

Gone.

Link Copied to Clipboard