Print Thread
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
HELP!!

I've tried to send like 50 files with dccsend and they all send well.

Only two files of them always stop sending when halfway.
It gets stuck at 4MB or something (always at exact the same size. e.i one stops at 3.86MB every time) Resending won't help. The upload will just drop to 0KB.

What's wrong with those 2 files ????

Anyway:
- I've copied them to another location (doesn't help)
- i've defragged my harddrive (doesn't help)

- i've splitted the file in 2 parts using winrar. Those two files CAN be send succesfully. If sent, they can be joined again, and then it's all fine.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE ?????

Any help, pleaze!.. i'm getting crazy!
Greetz,
J.

Last edited by JRLS; 19/03/04 09:22 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
are the files you cant send a lot bigger than the ones you can send ok? does it happen with more than one person? does your isp have any bandwidth limitations on you?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hey parabrat!... - thanks for the reply.

Anyway,
I can send bigger files just perfectly
E.g. i can send other files of 50MB fine.
It's always the same files i cannot send and they always get stuck at exactly the same point. (when they get stuck, they just stop uploading and the send gets timed-out)

Examples:
E.g. File A always gets stuck at 13.5MB
and file B always at 6.8MB

It happens with different persons.
I don't have any bandwith limitations.

Get this: yesterday i had some file that didn't work, say file "C". This other person got the same file downloaded from somewhere else. Anyway : he said to me: "you file might be corrupt" (the CRC check of my file was 100% BTW, so i don't think that was it, but okay). So he said : "i'm gonna send you my file, so you can replace it". So he did. But when he was sending ME the file (instead of me sending him), the file got stuck AT THE EXACT SAME SPOT!

Greetz,
JRLS

Last edited by JRLS; 22/03/04 08:33 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
odd indeed. is it only one file type that does this? other files of the same type work ok? longshot, but have you tried smaller packet size with the ones that are being cranky?

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hey parabrat,

I have mIRC 6.14 and maybe there is some bug in it.
The guy that could succesfully send it to me had 6.03.
So, 6.03 => 6.14 OK

The file was a part from a big ISO, like parts .001 to .014
So, other files of the same type work no problem.

If i split the file or pack in another way it works.
And the file isn't cranky, it's CRC 100% okay!

I'm beginning to think it has to to with the sender's AND receiver's version of mIRC. Maybe there is some filechecking going on in 6.14 that makes it crash, which is not in some other versions ??

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"But when he was sending ME the file (instead of me sending him), the file got stuck AT THE EXACT SAME SPOT"

i take it that wasnt the person using 6.03 that was successful in sending it to you?

did you try changing the packet size on the send that wouldnt work right?

the only thing remotely like that i've had happen, is only once in a while and only with one person. he will send me several files of the same type (types vary, as do the versions of mIRC), most work fine but one or two wont. he can send them to someone else, who sends them to me just fine. later on, the ones he couldnt send to me send just fine. i dont have an explanation for that either confused

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Hey ParaBrat,

Succesfull :
6.03 -> 6.14

Unsuccesful:
6.14 -> 6.12
6.12 -> 6.14

What do you mean by "changing the packet size " ???

And because the file gets stuck at the exact same spot, it must be someting systematic. Some checking in mIRC on a file that causes the error ??

Greetz,
JRLS

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
When you go into the send dialo (where you can select the file and name to be sent and send to), there's a drop down box with a set of numbers in it. That's the DCC Packetsize. The highest value for it currently is 8192 and goes down by the following options:

4096 (mirc's old maximum)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
sometimes (and for some ppl) smaller packet sizes go faster and dont get stuck. its worth trying

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
Landonsander and Parabrat,
Thanks for the reply and help!

I see the package sizes in DCC send. It looks like an interesting option to try. So, i should set it back to 4096 instead of 8192, right ?

Only, i'm sending them not only using DCC send, but through Fserve also (i'm using sysreset 2.53). Is there a way to globally set this package size option, so it will also be used by sysreset ??

Greetz,
JRLS

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i remember several posts about issues with sysreset, seems to me freezing and/or disconnecting. use the search feature here, set it to all forums and all dates to read them.

J
JRLS Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
I changed the packetsize to 4096 and all of a sudden files that wouldn't send (timed out), or got stuck will send now!

There was still one file that still wouldnt send. Set packetsize to 2048 and now it works too!!
Uptill now, i haven't come across a file that wouldnt send now, but we'll see what happens..

what's with this packetsize???
Why doesn't it work right away ???

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The packet size is the number of bytes that mIRC will send to another client in one packet. Which size works best varies from connection to connection, if theres high traffic, a lot of hops, etc. I know some ppl on cable that have to use smaller packetsize to get files, and i've been told that some satellite providers have size and distance issues regarding dcc.

Link Copied to Clipboard