mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
travis Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
the active item on the chat dialog, is 'Minimize window"... so to accept, I either have to hit [Tab], then [Enter]... or click Accept...

would be easier to have the Accept button as the active item... so someone could just hit the [Enter] button when it pops up.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If you happened to be typing along right at the end of your sentence when the DCC Accept dialog popups up and you hit enter, expecting to send your msg to the active window and instead accepted a file you did NOT want on your computer, you'd be just out of luck. THAT is why it was changed to begin with.

Accept / Ignore / Cancel should be a decision that you make before you inadvertantly do something. If you always want to get the file, then set your mIRC to always accept - that is a one decision. I very strongly disagree with having Accept as the default action.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
R
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
travis is talking about DCC chat, not accepting files. I doubt alot of harm could be done from users accidentally accepting chat sessions.

$input(Me like stars, You too?)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I doubt alot of harm could be done from users accidentally accepting chat sessions.

To those who only use networks with masked addressing I am sure the users there will disagree with this. I do too. I enjoy being an 'unknown' on IRC, meaning that being anonymous rocks. When you allow automated DCC or even manual, your IP address is provided to the other party. Something that I can do without.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
I understand both parties, so I couldn't say if it's worse or better (an option to change the default button in those dialogs would solve the problem but it might be too far-fetched). However, if you don't like this you can use a little script to give focus to the "Accept" button. This can be done by simulating keystrokes with a command, so {TAB} is pressed and the focus changes.
Code:
ctcp *:dcc chat *?:?: if $appactive && $creq == ask { .timer 1 0 sendkeys {TAB} }
alias sendkeys var %a = skeys $+ $ticks | .comopen %a WScript.Shell | if !$comerr { .comclose %a $com(%a,SendKeys,3,bstr,$1-) }

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
F
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
F
I doubt alot of harm could be done from users accidentally accepting chat sessions.

Not true - There was a "mIRC exploit" (DoS against mIRC) involving DCC chat sessions which could be triggered just by opening a chat session. It would freeze up mirc and force the user to quit without being able to perform any more actions

That bug has now been fixed (it was fixed way back in the 5.x series iirc) but it shows that accepting a chat session can be harmful

Link Copied to Clipboard