Print Thread
#73706 04/03/04 09:56 PM
X
xoder Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
1. mIRC should have a multiuser feature, meaning that one mIRC client could have different user accounts with different settings, channels, highlighst etc. (just like 2 separate mIRC clients) and all could be online at the same time. Also all private messages and highligtsh would be seen for every user without switching users.

2. Different network channels should be mixed together with out the irc.server.org status window for every different network. Nick changing and channel joining would be more difficult but a dislog could popup where irc networks would be selected..

3. Also mIRC should have an option for connecting simultaniously to multiple servers.

4a. Perform would be better if you could script it your self, meaning that if connected to some custom server, join some channels and message something to a bot.

4b. Or just do it differently that if i connect to a server that's not on the list i can't have any perform settings for it.

5. Some characters such as <> around the nick should be changed by the user, without installing any themepacks etc.

6. The channel bar could be automatically hidden when mouse is not over it. And it should appear if something is said on a specific channel or in case of highlight or private message.

I'm still using an older mIRC client so please forgive me if some of those suggestions are already in 6.14.

#73707 04/03/04 10:23 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
1. I think this isn't an exactly "in demand" feature, and as, from reading your situation, I should imagine it will take a lot of time to implement, I don't personally think it's worth it. *Most* people have mIRC just for themselves. The only people I do know who have an entire family of IRCers have separate computers. Obviously, it's not practical for everyone to buy and network 3+ computers, but it's equally impractical to put a lot of hard work into a feature which could (and I think probably would) confuse many users and which wouldn't be used by a large amount of people.

2. I suppose it would be OK to have an option like this, but it would cause huge confusion without the Status windows as "markers", or at least for me it would. But customisation is what it's all about, and I guess if you wanted this feature it wouldn't be too hard to put in. Again, I don't think it's at the top of Khaled's, or many other people's "wanted" lists.

3. This has been implemented, quite awhile back. You can now use /server -m irc.server.here. I don't know how you didn't know about this, but did know that the irc.server.org status windows separated different networks?

4a. See /help on connect

4b. If you don't put anything in 'All Networks' and specify different perform commands for different networks, then connect to a network that is not one of those networks, no perform commands will be...performed! If you go to the Perform section you can click 'Add' to only have Perform trigger on certain networks.

5. I agree with this, there should be an easier way to change it. A bit like the ALT+O > Other section where you can choose what the line separator character will be. If you really want this right now however, there are a number of threads which have the code necessary to change it. Try this thread.

6. Again, this would have to be a customisable option IMO if it was to be implemented and definitely not enabled by default. In fact, I think it could be annoying too. If there's a new channel message, and you're looking away from the screen for a second, then the switchbar flashes...by the time you look back it might have disappeared again and you've missed the fact there's been a new message until you manually check by hovering the cursor. A little tedious. And if you're in quite a few channels, there would keep being channel messages and the switchbar would be almost constantly flashing, therefore making the whole thing pointless!

Edit: Not exactly what you want, but you might like to know that you can choose to hide the switchbar in 6.14 (and versions before, don't know until when) - ALT+O > Display uncheck the 'Show switchbar' box. You can then access channel windows through the Window menu.

My 2 cents smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#73708 05/03/04 05:28 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
1. You can make mIRC respect Windows Login users, by changing the shortcuts to mIRC in each user's Start Menu... Read Iori's instructions in this post.

3. This can be easily scripted to suit your specific needs better than any connect dialog can. Check out this example which explains how to do it.

6. ALT+VS (View > Switchbar) will let you quickly hide and show the channel switchbar on demand.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#73709 05/03/04 07:15 AM
X
xoder Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
Raccoon & Mentality:

1. It's too much trouble to switch users in windows when my brother wants to check his messages. Having 2 irc clients runnig is a bit annoying but guess i have to live with it.

2. mm true.

3&4a. I know about the /server -m irc.server.net thing, but i can't(?) have it to join specified channels automatically when conencted. Unless it can be done with scripting, which could be possible when i quickly looked at the on connect remote thingie. Thanks for that Mentality.

4b. But in perform i have to select the whole network and can't specify my own irc server(?).
If i add /server -m server.net to perform and mIRC connects to it, will the other network performs be performed?
It'd be better if they were in the options dialog

5. Gotta check this out, thanks.

6. True true.

#73710 05/03/04 07:36 AM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
3&4a. See this thread

#73711 05/03/04 08:12 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If you add a network to the connect dialog then you can use that same network in the Perform section, therefore, being able to use perform for individual networks which are not already listed in servers.ini.

To do so, ALT+O > Connect > Servers > Add - Fill out the necessary boxes. For further help, click the 'Help' button in the add server dialog. Once it is successfully added, you should be able to go to the Perform section and click on 'Add' again - now with the network you added listed in the drop down menu smile

G'luck.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#73712 05/03/04 08:45 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I quite easily allow for separate "users" to use mIRC .. and at the same time too! Check out start-up options (especially the "-i" option).

(OK - I only have one screen and one keyboard .. but I sometimes need to run two instances of mIRC under different names .... well _ I probably could do it under the one instance but I have never bothered changing scripts etc from earlier versions - the point is .. by judicious use of the "-i" option at startup I can effectively run two mircs with different scripts etc.)

Cheers :-)

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
#73713 05/03/04 09:04 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
5 - I completely agree and while it is scriptable, I think it'd be nice to be able to do in mirc itself. Timestamp formats ahve been changingable like that for versions now as has (as been pointed out already) lineseps. While it's not high on the list of importance, I'd LOVE this feature and would deffinately use it. Currently, I just cant be bothered scripting it so I dont complain but I back this up when it's mentioned LOL

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#73714 05/03/04 09:21 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
I'm still using an older mIRC client so please forgive me if some of those suggestions are already in 6.14.

Erm... you're suggesting upgrades to an (unstated) older version without even bothering to look to see if they've already been implemented? crazy

/me shakes his head and wanders off

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#73715 12/04/04 12:53 PM
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Regarding the first comment. I find myself needing this feature today. I really don't think it is so difficult to implement.

Every user has his own set of environment variables when he logs in; you could simply implement an environment variable say;

MIRC = c:\documents and settings\etc....

And MIRC will look in that directory for all of its settings, reverting back to the default directory (c:\program files\mirc) if no environment override is found.

This is really simple to code and woud be very helpful to at least me and the OP. :P

John.

Link Copied to Clipboard