mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
X
xrun Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
I get this errormessage when I connect to any server. If I don't click the "Don't send" button, I can stay and chat, but if I try to connect to another server, the whole program freezes.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several times, but still get the same error.

What can I do? is there a patch or a fix for this?

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
i used to have that same problem when i had a script list all files in my c:\ drive when it started up.
check for any scripts that might cause mirc to lag..

New username: hixxy
X
xrun Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
The problem ocurred when I had upgraded the harddrive from 20+80GB (2 disks) to 80+200GB.
The C partition increased from 7177MB to 20GB.
I tried formatting and installing windows fresh, but I still got the same error, so then I loaded an image from a few days ago, so as not to have to reinstall everything.

Could it be that I just need to make the C-partition smaller like it was before? In that case, how small... 8GB f.example?

M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
I get the same error, and I can also stay and chat as long as I don't click the "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send" buttons.

The details of the error seem to indicate a Winsock problem:
AppName: mirc.exe
AppVer: 6.1.2.0
ModName: ws2_32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1240
Offset: 00003b2c

One of Microsoft's wonderful patches (IE Update KB832894) recently broke a lot of programs that use Microsoft Visual C++ and Winsock . I think that something like this update must be included in a default installation of Windows XP Pro, because I didn't have that patch installed, but I was experiencing exactly the same problems as the Win2K users that did have the patch installed.

The developer of one of the other applications that I use that was affected by this problem recompiled using a 3rd party Winsock libarary, and everything worked correctly again.

I don't know if this is causing the problem with mIRC or not, but it might be worth looking into.

For now I'm using Chatzilla, but I really wish that I could get mIRC to run on my XP machine.

M
M
I downloaded and installed 6.14 today, but still no joy.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution or a workaround?

#72930 04/03/04 04:27 PM
M
M
There is an update from Microsoft that fixes this problem.

The information page for the hotfix can be found at:
KB831167

#72931 08/03/04 06:19 PM
M
M
Well, it was working on Friday, but now it's not working again.

Since nobody touched this machine over the weekend, and Windows Update is configured to prompt before installing, I'm not sure what could have changed.

I guess it's back to Mozilla for now....

T
T
Before I formated my Windows, I had a 20GB partition for it (NTFS). Windows was fully up2date with ALL patches available on WindowsUpdate... Suddenly mIRC broke on ws2_32.dll as explained in this topic.. but also PuTTY crashed (after exchange of keys). I was wondering about reformating anyways, and did so... Now windows has 50GB of space, still I've gone trough all of WindowsUpdate (as the first thing I do), and still mIRC crashes... On the old system I tried 6.03, 6.12 and 6.14.. On this new, I've only tried 6.14.

I will try the patch that posted in this group, but since it's not on the Windows Update, I'm not sure if I allready have it.

Gonna tell you how it went afterwords...

T
T
Still crashes, did the patch and all.. WindowsUpdate as only the following items for me: Movie Maker 2, Journal Viewer, MediaPlayer 9 and nVidia drivers (that are old compared to what I have from nVidia's own site)...

mIRC still crashes on ws2_32.dll !

AppName: mirc.exe AppVer: 6.1.4.0 ModName: ws2_32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1240 Offset: 00003b2c

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I use mIRC on three different Windows XP Pro installations myself, all on different computers, all of which have full patches applied from the Windows Update website, and I have not experienced this problem.

It's difficult to guess where the problem might be since you're reporting that the crash happens in Winsock itself. It may simply be due to a conflict of some kind with your software/hardware combination.

T
T
But, it hasn't happened before (on the same computer).
So I'm having some thoughts about the ADSL Modem Setup (NAT, etc..)

I've found some info on the web about errors in the ws2_32.dll caused by the mixture of local and public IP's (as NAT is).

Still waiting for words from my ISP though.

Link Copied to Clipboard