mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#72258 21/02/04 10:23 AM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Whenever I begin receiving DCC sends, all of my IRC connections, regardless of server, freeze. I tried using versions of the eXcursion script and they won't even show that I'm connected to channels. I've experianced this with three different operating systems, multiple versions of mIRC, another IRC client, using two different NICs, but all with just the computer in common. I had success with Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition running mIRC and others, but my trial ran out and I'm not going to pay $2k just to run mIRC right. If you need any more info to help me, just e-mail me.

#72259 21/02/04 10:36 AM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

Well, I don't know how WS2003 works, but:
- check for any firewall/bandwidth/proxy settings or something that could affect files transfers.
- try disabling your antivirus real-time scanning if one.
- use a fresh installed mIRC without any scripts (like eXcursion script)
- have you experienced any other problems with files transfers? (using ftp, http, etc...) if so, check your Internet settings / ethernet card / router/modem/hub/switch hardware.

And don't forget, you're using a trial version of WS2003, it's maybe a beta release with a different name :P

#72260 21/02/04 10:45 AM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
It DID run in WS2003... I'm using XP pro now and it's not working. I'm currently using no proxy, no firewall, no anti-virus software, I'm having no difficulty with any other protocols. It's a fresh install of mIRC. I do receive the files, but all the open connections in that "instance" of mIRC get frozen, i.e., the channels stop scrolling, no new messages come, and the channels and everything act dead. I've had the same problem under XP Home, as well. I've installed the Windows and tried it then, to no avail, as well. Also, I'm not using any router or hubs. I have cable internet. It works fine when I boot under WS2k3, but that's no longer an option.

#72261 21/02/04 10:51 AM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
:-/

huh.... nothing to recommend... maybe SP1 for XP using windowsupdate....
or a virus scan, who knows...

#72262 21/02/04 11:00 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There have been numerous reports about this happening, and I think almost all of them have occured on Windows XP and 2K. I have not seen a specific fix for it yet. I think it happens most often with 6.12 (or any of them in the 6.1x range). I also believe it only happens when you receive really big files.

This is however, not a constant problem for people and doesn't usually occur with multiple versions of mIRC and multiple OS's, so perhaps it is your computer some how. Perhaps you should try the manufacturer's website or the Microsoft User Groups.

To be honest, if you're using mIRC for it's actual purpose, you should not be DCC receiving very often. Make sure you read this post.

I suggest you also use the Search feature and search for something like "Freeze" and/or "DCC". Expand to 'All Forums' and expand the date range to 'All Posts' for best results.

Happy chattin'

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#72263 21/02/04 11:09 AM
I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
Thank you, Mentality, that was somewhat helpful.

Cheers,
Andrew/IgnesAndros

#72264 21/02/04 11:18 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You're welcome smile - Hope you find the answer(s) you're looking for!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard