mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#7121 18/01/03 03:22 AM
X
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
* Unable to connect (Can't assign requested address)
WTF is that? How do I connect to Dal net, I tried every server at www.dal.net and some of those other sites posted on here under other topics. What should I do?

#7122 18/01/03 04:03 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You can't connect to dalnet, all the servers are down, irc//irc.testnet.dal.net will sometimes let you on.

#7123 18/01/03 04:56 AM
T
Tat Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
/server 66.250.51.66 6667

Has been up and good for about a day now. The cannot assign is when the dns fails. Though, by the time you're reading this it might be dead. But, its at least another thing to try.

#7124 18/01/03 07:59 AM
T
Tat Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
misc-e.dal.net got passworded. kernal works.

/server 24.214.248.41 7000

Now I see the reason not to post these servers, stupid things actually do change every five minutes.

#7125 18/01/03 09:28 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Exactly.. in some cases the server only allows connections in brief (like a few seconds) spurts, in others they need to do a restart, in others they have been attacked or they have only been brought up for testing. And lets face it, each server can only take a certain number of ppl. Its great to want to help others connect, but while i can absolutely understand ppl wanting a server to connect to, its really kinda pointless right now to post any frown

And as someone else mentioned, why give out in public a server for someone to see and attack. i cringe every time i see one posted anywhere and cant help hoping ppl will stop doing it right now and share in private among their friends rather than publicly. Thats prolly just rampant paranoia, but why take chances. We all just have to accept that until these ppl are stopped, its going to be almost inpossible.

Another thing to consider is this which i pasted from DAlnet's website :
Someone gave me an IP to connect to DALnet, is it safe?
Right now, some servers are being brought up for a short amount of time to test ideas we have. Those servers can only usually be connected to direct by an IP address. Unfortunately, some people have been giving out IP addresses and telling people to connect to them and that they are DALnet servers. Whilst these IP addresses may, indeed, connect you to DALnet - they will often do so through a chat bouncer (BNC) or an open proxy. Both these are very insecure and if you identify to your nickname or channel, you are at great risk of losing your passwords. Therefore, always check what you are connecting to - look in your status window and if you see any strange messages when you connect talking about proxy servers or giving you a message welcoming you to BNC you should either disconnect or make sure you do NOT identify. When connecting to an IP address, do /whois your-nickname and look at your host. Is that your usual host? If not, you are most likely on a BNC or proxy and you should not identify. We cannot help you with any passwords lost in this way.

(and no TAT, im not accusing you of this)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard