mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
i would be interested in translating the mirc help file.
i once started it clicking through the whole file and creating html pages. but this was a lot of work and i couldn't keep track of all changes.

is there a chance to get the source for the .hlp file?

or any known more comfortable way?

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

It has already been suggested on the "Feature Suggestions" forum, a place for... suggestions grin
I'd like to add, not only the help files, but mIRC's core too if possible.

By the way, you can decompile a hlp file using some software, try using http://www.helpscribble.com/decompiler.html
or search Google "decompiler hlp files"

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
sorry for not searching well *g*

i understand if the main program can't/won't be translated. but a lot of people i know who write scripts would really like to see a translated help file.

i'll check the link you gave me. thanks so far

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
You're welcome smirk

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Khaled's comments regarding the source code and translating mIRC at http://www.mirc.com/khaled/faq.html should interest you. Altho not specific to the help file, have you been to http://www.mirc.co.uk/translations/index.html ?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
yeah i've been to that site. but i thought that was only regarding the installation instructions. i started translating the help file with help scribble now.

i'm not really interested in translating mirc itself, but i would do that too. after all i'd be glad to help the community

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
oops, sorry i wasnt very clear. i mentioned that site because it shows some links to other things that ppl have translated, like the FAQ, and perhaps one of the links was in the language you are interested in translating the help file to.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There has been a noticeable interest in translations as of late.

I personally would love to see a forum added that only discusses documentation and translations, and still urge Khaled and Tjerk to go this route. It is not easy finding people that 1. can translate fluently and cleanly, 2. understand mIRC so completely from front to back that they are capable of such translations, and 3. will do all this for free.

You are a rare commodity that Khaled needs to grab up while you're still interested.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
well, i've been using mirc for 4 years now and i'm giving support to newcomers in both scripting an using mirc. i'm also a regular on efnet #mirc wink

i had no problems with the help so far and i think i could translate mirc as well.

and of course i do it for free wink

i'm german by the way

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
I could do it too wink I won't have much free time in two months, though... school year is starting soon, but I can still devote some time to it.

BTW, I'm Chilean (that means, I speak Spanish... hehe)

Please, consider myself as available for translations

In peace and good thoughts,
/me

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
A
Babel fish
Babel fish
A
The help file has already been translated in French and is available online as html pages, as an hlp file, and as html files to download.

What would be great to see is to add a way to translate mIRC using a language file... so we don't need to translate directly from the source of the file, but only the lines that need to be translated in the language file.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I prefer html over hlp pages... searches a damn lot easyer for my taste (ctrl+f is a bliss)

so if it is translated, or best: re-written also in english with all commands in it even a few currently undocumented ones (not all of them, but the ones users ask about most) and all the errors in the help files which were reported by users over the last few version corrected in HTML format: it would be ideal imho.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
HTML pages are nice these days, though I still like .hlp's scrappyness and independance. It has a built-in search, is small and self contained, and very quick loading. If only it had anchor links that auto-scrolled to the selected topic.

I absolutely hate Adobe's and Macromedia's directories of .html documents... they're slow and cumbersome and very difficult to find the information you're looking for. Worse are when they require internet access to view.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard