mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#71110 11/02/04 10:20 PM
L
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
L
Hello, when I connect to mIRC I get Ping! Pong! spammed about 13 times in a row and then I get disconnected. My perform on connect doesnt run and I cant join a channelr while I am being pinged. I ask if I was hacked because someone registered MY username with MY e-mail and MY IP but the PASSWORD to the account isnt mine. When I sent a request to sign up for the message boards I got "Someone from the ip address '24.44.253.189' registered the Username "LocoMente". The password for this Username is (insert password here)." Can anyone guess how this person registered my name? Thanks in advance for any help.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
1. about ping-pong spam... you probably have some weird script that on connect floods the server with some request data and server responds to script requests and returns some data to you (i guess itz a lagmeter problem but who knows..) so when you flood the serv, serv floods you and you have high ping or big lag and you get disconnected

2. about registering your nickname... maybe someone registered it before you came on that network.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
When I sent a request to sign up for the message boards I got "Someone from the ip address '24.44.253.189' registered the Username "LocoMente". The password for this Username is (insert password here)." Can anyone guess how this person registered my name? Thanks in advance for any help.

i don't think a popular message board would disclose that information, so don't lie.

New username: hixxy
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the replies. bunar, do you think you can help me delete such scripts or should I just reinstall? Also, bunar, its not possible for someone to register my user name from my IP... they would have to access my computer.. maybe through IRC? I dont know. Tidy_trax, I totally agree with you and I dont think a popular message board would disclose this information either... I am trying to get some help on how my name coulda been registered from my IP without me knowing about it. I highly doubt any information was disclosed.. seeing how I didnt even register for these boards until today.
Again, thanks for the replies and help.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
1) Ping?Pong! is not spam. This is the method used by a server to see if you are alive and responsive, i.e. to make sure that your connection isn't dead. If these messages annoy you, do the following:
[*] open mIRC
[*] go to the options menu or press Alt-O to open it
[*] go to the IRC/options submenu, and check the 'hide ping? pong! event' box.

2) It looks like your client's responses are not reaching the server. You, your school/employer or your ISP may have a firewall running that is blocking the replies, or you may be using an unusually badly configured mIRC script. If you use a personal firewall, check that the settings allow connections for mIRC, or for an appropriate port range.

3) Anyone can register a nick, they just have to be the first. I assume that the message to which you refer was an e-mail sent to your e-mail address. You obviously have the nick, and the password was sent to you... perhaps a kind friend just did you a favour? Or perhaps you just don't remember registering a long time ago? In any case, you can now go to the "My Home" section and CHANGE the password.

(I have had a different problem, where someone else has requested my password... it's no big deal, password info always goes to the e-mail address given by the original registerer).

4) If you are convinced that someone has broken into your computer, do the following:
[*] Download an up-to-date antivirus program, and run it.
[*] Run an online antivirus (because some viruses/trojans can stop the antiviruse on your own PC from working properly)
[*] Download an anti-trojan program like Pest Patrol and run it.
[*] If you don't already have one, install a personal firewall like ZoneAlarm to control incoming and outgoing connections. This will go a long way to preventing unauthorised use of your computer.

Hope this helps smile

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks PastMaster. I will investigate the things you mentioned.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
what i mean is, if you sign up and a usernames already been taken, i highly doubt it says "ip registered the username username and the password is password."

L
OP Offline
L
I got a reply from the message board to my e-mail. You know when you register it says check your e-mail to activate your account? I went and checked it and the e-mail told me my name was registered with my IP. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
oh, ok sorry blush

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
You know when you register it says check your e-mail to activate your account? I went and checked it and the e-mail told me my name was registered with my IP

But that's what is supposed to happen.

You registered, and then the board sends you the message. It is a security check, to make sure that no-one is maliciously signing up your address for things you don't want.

It does not mean that the nick was registered PREVIOUSLY by someone else.

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
L
OP Offline
L
ohhh. I am dumb then. Sorry. I wasnt thinking and the password was "<deleted by moderator>". LOL, maybe I am just a tad paranoid.. I understand now. I still cant connect to IRC, I've reinstalled and on connect it says Ping! Pong! 13-15 times in a row and then I get kicked.

Problem solved.. its gamesnet move to gamesurge that was causing this.

Last edited by ParaBrat; 13/02/04 05:20 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
never, never, never tell anyone what your password is. If what i deleted is what the password was and you havent already changed it, please do ASAP.
click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". To change your password, simply edit the password and verify password fields on this page. Once you have entered the new password, click submit to save the information. (Keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard