Print Thread
#70510 06/02/04 07:52 PM
M
MrUrt Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
I am unable to connect to any server. No matter what I choose, I get an "Unable to resolve server" message. The thing that makes this really odd, is that I can connect to all of these servers using trillian. Any idea what's going on¿ Btw, I'm reasonably sure it's not a virus, as I've had Norton do several full scans, with nothing to show for it.

#70511 07/02/04 01:20 AM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

You maybe have set wrong firewall or proxy settings, check your mIRC's Options > Connect > Firewall.
If you can connect using Trillian, there's no reason mIRC doesn't work...

#70512 07/02/04 05:51 PM
M
MrUrt Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
That's where it gets weird, I have a NAT, but it's been working fine up till recently. I haven't changed any firewall settings. I even tried hooking my computer directly to the modem, and that didn't change a thing. I don't have any software firewalls enabled, not even windows'.

#70513 08/02/04 02:30 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Norton is not the difinitive answer to all viruses. I've scanned with Norton in the past and found to be virus-free and then scanned with another virus scanner and found to be infected. It's always wise to use more than one as they have different methods of scanning the system. Try Grisoft's AVG.

Did you say you do not have Windows installed? If not and you're running mIRC with an emulator of some sort, then that could be a reason.

Do you have a router connected? If so, disconnect it completely, reboot, and then try to connect to IRC. In the case of a router that's pretty much the only 100% way to tell if it's the router causing the issues or not without all this time-wasting playing around with settings!

What OS are you using? If you're on Windows XP, make sure the XP firewall is off as it could be conflicting with the NAT - see these instructions.

Oh, you might also like to use the Forum Search feature - expand to 'All Forums' and expand the date range to 'All Posts' for best results. Many threads have already been posted about this error message, so search for something like "Unable to resolve".

For future reference, when posting a problem it's important to give as much detail as possible, including:

1) mIRC version.
2) Whether or not you have any routers or firewalls installed.
3) What OS you're using.
4) Any changes you've made recently, no matter how small or possibly unrelated.
5) What measures you've already taken to rectify the problem.
6) If you're on a network or not (including school, university, work, home or cybercafe).
7) Any other background information you think might be relevant.

Hope this helps, and happy chattin'! smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70514 08/02/04 08:00 PM
M
MrUrt Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
I never said anything about my os, but I have XP Home. As I already said, I have a router, and already tried connecting my computer directly to the modem. I also said that I don't have window's firewall enabled, nor do I have a software firewall of any kind running. I already have AVG, but I didn't think to run that once, so I'm currently updating it now and will scan in a minute. I'm running 6.12 with invision. I was messing with network related services around the time this happened, but I went back to my old, unmolested hardware profile, and the only difference is that it now says, "Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)" on every server, instead of "Unable to resolve server". The reason why I posted this, instead of just doing a search, is this is more of a widespread problem. There are a couple programs that have trouble resolving servers. More specifically, the only proggies I can think of that that don't seem to be affected are all my browsers (IE, Firebird, and Opera), trillian, Outlook Express, and the antivirus' (definition updates work fine). I would just reformat, but that's a nearly all day ordeal (after tweaks and sofware installs) that I really don't have the time for. Looks like I don't have much of a choice.

#70515 08/02/04 08:31 PM
M
MrUrt Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
HAR HAR! I AM UESING TEH INTRAWEB! I ok, I feel like a dunce now. You see, awhile back I used zone alarm. I uninstalled it, but apparently it didn't completely uninstall for whatever reason. On a whim, I decided to check the running processes myself, to check for anything that shouldn't be there (looking for a trojan). Instead what I found was the service that enforces za's protection was still running. Basically what happened then was whenever I installed a new program, or updated an old one the permissions in za are reset, and it will pop up, asking you what permissions, if any, you want to give the proggie. Unfortunately, since the gui was uninstalled, there was no changing the permissions, so by default those programs weren't granted intraweb acess. Go ahead and proceed to make fun of me if you want, but I'm just happy that all is well again. Thanks smile

#70516 08/02/04 09:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Make fun? Pft, naw, I've made my fair share of mistakes in the past (pasting your swear kicker to an official network help channel that doesn't allow swearing is a mistake...doing it 3 times is plain stupid! *innocent look*)

I'm glad you got it sorted, ZA had caused problems for me in the past too...I never found out what it was, I got a new computer by the time I got to the "hair falling out" stage wink...but we're not addicts or anything *another innocent look*

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard