Print Thread
#70274 04/02/04 07:59 AM
R
Rupes Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
R
You have to help me guys, PLEASE! I'm new to mIRC and I asked my friend to see if he could join my channel. Anyways, he could and he wouldn't leave, he then proceeded to set himself to op and I can't do anything about it cause none of my commands work. It's really making me angry and he is acting like a real ass as well. I have ended up having to creat another channel in the process. My power just went out tonight for like a few minutes and he took that time to enter my channel and do the same thing as he had done in my prior channel. My room is on GAMESNET and the channel is called #-[MafiA]-ClanChat. I am also able to obtain is ip if that would help. Thanx for any help. Oh and he goes by either "desktopx" or "sam|"

Oh and not to mention in most cases he has either banned or kicked me so i've had to create a new channel. I don't know why hw's being such an ass. I guess he's just a nerd who's thinks he's cool cause he's picking on someone who knows relatively nothing of mIRC.

Last edited by Rupes; 04/02/04 08:04 AM.
#70275 04/02/04 08:10 AM
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Friend? Sounds not...
Well, those channels are his now. Open a new one and register it, and your nick if you haven't already done so.
Type /nickserv help register
and /chanserv help register

#70276 04/02/04 05:39 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You should be extremely careful as to who you op on your channel. With a network like GamesNET I am extremely skeptical to believe that he opped himself without you giving him access to do so. You must have shared your password with him if none of your commands work now, as he's probably removed your access to the channel. If you didn't share it then it was probably very easily guessable.

In my experience, network administration tend to not help people very much with these problems, mainly because there's no proof that you ever did own the channel once he's set himself as owner, and secondly because you should be careful with all of your passwords. The amount of cases of "friends" taking over channels is ridiculous.

Also, remember that we help with mIRC, not particularly specific network issues - we have *no* authority or power to do anything about it and have no more trust from opers than anyone else. The network will have it's own oper policy on these issues, but usually they are very cautious which leads to little being done.

That said, I'm sorry if you've lost your channel, I'm sure it's a pain in the bum and detracts from the enjoyment of IRC. Still, he can't take your ability to chat or make friends away, so happy chattin' smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#70277 04/02/04 06:15 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In addition to the above advice, I'd like to recommend that you resist the temptation to spam your channel in other people's channels.

You didn't indicate whether you spammed or not so I can't make that assumption. Judging by the behavior of your "friend" though, this is a typical punishment that us cynical oldtimers bestow upon eger young newbies to teach them netiquette, the hard way. In the event you DID spam your channel, you may wish to think twice before doing it again. Advertising is bad.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#70278 04/02/04 07:16 PM
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
The only other thing I can think to do, is ask an admin if he will drop the channel but you will need very good solid proof it was your channel.. Like logs or something in the lines of a security notice. If you would like.. I am in the process of setting up a IRC network as well... You can host your clan channel there if you'd like.. Just a suggestion. That way I can help you if you have problems later on down the road. If you need more help, feel free to PM me.

KG6NCL (Aaron)
#70279 04/02/04 07:48 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Naa, I'm sure the dude released the channel by now. I've never seen someone hold a newbie's channel for longer than a day... and usually only an hour or so.

In most spam situations, the thief will deop all users and leave the channel +m(oderated) and part, so the newbie has to wait for everyone to leave before he can regain control. This is a play of irony, as the newbie-spammer now wants to get rid of the same people he tried so hard to invite.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#70280 05/02/04 01:24 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I think one good thing for you to do is to go to http://www.gamesnet.net/ and read all the info there on registering your channel and managing it. There's a lot of good general info there specific to that network so you can understand how things work.

Regardless of his reasons, i agree that he doesnt sound like much of a friend. Do some reading, educate yourself and you wont be as vulnerable to stuff like this. We cant do anything about it, only the network's admins can, but i doubt they would get involved in what you described. mIRC is software used to connect to the many networks, each network has its own policies and we arent affiliated with any of the networks

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard